[SOLVED] Updating Gigabyte X470 Aorus Ultra Gaming-CF BIOS for Ryzen 3600x Questions

Yaboiyaboi

Prominent
Apr 7, 2020
Alright, well I noticed a drop in CPU performance on my old ryzen, CPU intensive games that I played, usually at 60fps just fine, suddenly was dipping down between 6-30fps when GPU intensive games ran 60-100fps+. No big deal, I've had my Ryzen 2700x for years now with constant hourly gaming usage. I just need to replace it and it was too tantalizing to not upgrade to Ryzen 3000 series.

Looked up compatibility for my motherboard (make/model in the title) and it did support it, however I am unsure of as to what BIOS update I should flash my motherboard to.

I decided to update it to the latest update (F60c).

Was that the right choice? Earlier versions specifically say "New AMD CPU compatibility". Should I have downloaded those first, or do those updates come with the latest update?

And, is that all I have left to do before I install the new CPU? (I already have it, just want to make sure everything is ready to go properly).

Thank you for your time.

Solution
BIOS version F60c should work fine with a 3600x.
But you might want to check the Gigabyte forums just to see if anyone has posted about any specific issues with that BIOS version.

Just be sure to read the BIOS notes for all the BIOS versions Before you update.
If you have an old BIOS version you might new to update the Firmware and to a specific version Before you update to the newest version.

DMAN999

Honorable
Ambassador
But you might want to check the Gigabyte forums just to see if anyone has posted about any specific issues with that BIOS version.

Just be sure to read the BIOS notes for all the BIOS versions Before you update.
If you have an old BIOS version you might new to update the Firmware and to a specific version Before you update to the newest version.

Reactions: Yaboiyaboi
Solution

Yaboiyaboi

Prominent
Apr 7, 2020

Before I begin, just want to say it's crazy coincidental that one of my closest friends also uses the screen name "dman" so I thought that was pretty funny.

Thank you for your reply, do I need to update the firmware or whatever before putting in the new CPU or is it something I should have done before flashing the BIOS? And, would that be all to do before CPU installation?

Reactions: DMAN999

DMAN999

Honorable
Ambassador
What BIOS version did you have before and are you using version now (I assume it's F60c) ?

If you had version F40 or newer you will be fine.
If you had anything older than F40 you need to read the Notes on F40:
Note:
  1. If you are using Q-Flash Utility to update BIOS, make sure you have updated BIOS to F31 before F40
  2. Before update BIOS to F40, you have to install EC FW Update Tool (B19.0517.1 or later version) to avoid 4DIMM DDR incompatibility on 3rd Gen AMD Ryzen™ CPU
  3. Due to BIOS ROM size limited, NO Bristol Ridge (AMD 7th Gen A-series/ Athlon™ X4 series) APU support.
https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/X470-AORUS-ULTRA-GAMING-rev-10/support#support-dl-bios

Reactions: Yaboiyaboi

Yaboiyaboi

Prominent
Apr 7, 2020
What BIOS version did you have before and are you using version now (I assume it's F60c) ?

If you had version F40 or newer you will be fine.
If you had anything older than F40 you need to read the Notes on F40:

https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/X470-AORUS-ULTRA-GAMING-rev-10/support#support-dl-bios

According to msinfo I had version F40.

Edit for clarification: I looked at what version I had to see if it was the newest or not (comparing it with the newest on the Gigabyte site). I had F40 and the newest was F60c.

Last edited:
Reactions: DMAN999

Yaboiyaboi

Prominent
Apr 7, 2020
@DMAN999 Ty for all the answers and sorry for so many specific questions. I just like to make doubly sure of what I am doing so I don't <Mod Edit> anything up. (y)

I'm going to put the CPU in now and see how it goes.

Last edited by a moderator: