Question Updating MAC OS X Mountain Lion (2012)

Nov 28, 2019
Hi,

So I bought a mac (2012 one) my lil bro to do his school homework on,
My issue is I can't update the OS cause its an old system
But it says to go on the site to do an update
-So I go
-But It don't work
cause its outdated

Currently It has
OS X Mountain Lion (2012)

Could anyone know how to update it without any issues
Even the app store i can't download few apps as its an outdated OS (e.g Word documents)

(I normally go with Windows cause it avoids all these issues but it was a good deal especially to do his homework)

Help please ♥ if anyone knows.
Thanks

May 19, 2020
Hi,

So I bought a mac (2012 one) my lil bro to do his school homework on,
My issue is I can't update the OS cause its an old system
But it says to go on the site to do an update
-So I go
-But It don't work
cause its outdated

Currently It has
OS X Mountain Lion (2012)

Could anyone know how to update it without any issues
Even the app store i can't download few apps as its an outdated OS (e.g Word documents)

(I normally go with Windows cause it avoids all these issues but it was a good deal especially to do his homework)

Help please ♥ if anyone knows.
Thanks
I’m assuming you want to upgrade to Mojave or Catalina. Since you just purchased the Mac I believe it has the necessary memory - you’ll need around 20GB of storage space and 2GB of memory. Since it’s a 2012 computer you should be able to do that as the hardware is compatible.
If updating straight to Mojave doesn’t work for you, I recommend doing it sequentially. So instead of downloading Mojave, first get Mavericks, then Yosemite, then El Capitan, Sierra, High Sierra and Mojave. You could even use an external disk to run all of these to make sure you don’t overload your laptop’s hardware. You’ll need quite a bit of memory and storage space though. You can read my guide how update the OS on an external HD that in one of the MacRumors comments following this link.
I don’t recommend updating to Catalina as it has some issues. Mainly what I’ve found annoying is that it doesn’t support 32-bit apps, so you have to make sure everything that you run is 64-bit. This might come as a problem when your little brother is trying to study since some of the apps he could potentially want to use only come as 32-bit. Plus he’ll encounter the same issue if he ever wants to use it for gaming. Mojave, on the other hand, still supports both.
Hope this helps!

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS