[SOLVED] Updating my Computer Hardware - Help Appreciated! :)

Masdock

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2013
Hi!

I'm looking to update my computer for as little as possible (UK). Here are my computer specs, a build from 2013:

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2lPEJ

The computer currently is very loud and the CPU and GPU can't keep up with specific games like it use to, so most likely I'd like to get these replaced. Additionally, I'd like to replace the chassis and heat sink to make the computer smaller, as I move often, but also quieter as the current build sounds like a lawnmower. Also I'm unsure if I should replace my motherboard or keep the existing one, but I'm open to suggestions.

Looking to spend less than £350-400 but I'm open to spending a little more as to make it quieter and smaller but still keep good performance.

Many thanks in advance!

Masdock

Solution
PCPartPicker Part List

CPU Cooler: ARCTIC Freezer 34 eSports DUO CPU Cooler (£34.99 @ Amazon UK)
Video Card: MSI Radeon RX 5600 XT 6 GB MECH OC Video Card (£257.98 @ Amazon UK)
Power Supply: Corsair TXM Gold 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply (£69.98 @ Currys PC World Business)
Total: £362.95
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-03-10 15:04 GMT+0000

The GPU would be the most noticeable upgrade in terms of gaming parformance. For 1080p the RX 5600XT has plenty of power.

Your platform(4th gen Haswell) is getting outdated and it might need a change in the future... with 4c/4t you're on the edge...
You're limited by a 4 core CPU with no hyperthreading and only 8GB ram and you want a new case, cooler and you'll need a new power supply also if yours is as old as the rest of your parts. I don't think it would be worth spending money to upgrade your existing core components and you don't really have the budget to do what you are asking right now. I'd put a new video card in it to help your gaming and save up to build a new system. You can move the new video card into a new system later on. This is just my opinion. Others here may have different ideas.
MSI RTX 2060 Super

PCPartPicker Part List

Power Supply: Corsair TXM Gold 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply (£69.98 @ Currys PC World Business)

The GPU would be the most noticeable upgrade in terms of gaming parformance. For 1080p the RX 5600XT has plenty of power.

Your platform(4th gen Haswell) is getting outdated and it might need a change in the future... with 4c/4t you're on the edge nowadays

You were complaining about the noise... the arctic freezer 34 esports will be a lot quieter compared to the 212.... much better cooling performance also.

I'd also change the PSU, since it's not the best in terms of quality.... you have the option to stay with your current PSU, but an upgrade won't hurt and you'll be able to use it when you'll be changing the platform.

Solution

Masdock

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2013
PCPartPicker Part List

Your platform(4th gen Haswell) is getting outdated and it might need a change in the future... with 4c/4t you're on the edge nowadays

You were complaining about the noise... the arctic freezer 34 esports will be a lot quieter compared to the 212.... much better cooling performance also.

I'd also change the PSU, since it's not the best in terms of quality.... you have the option to stay with your current PSU, but an upgrade won't hurt and you'll be able to use it when you'll be changing the platform.

Can I not just get the MSI Radeon RX 5500? It's significantly cheaper in price.

Also what about my CPU? Would you recommend changing that? I am certainly going to look into changing the case and also the heat sink as you've suggested, but I might keep the PSU and motherboard for a little longer.

Are cases an issue with this build? I'm thinking about getting a cube chassis like the Thermaltake case - Any recommendations as I wouldn't want to buy parts and have them not fit haha.

Also, I forgot to mention that I updated for 8GB to 16G so no problem there :)

Many thanks for the help!

Masdock

The 5500XT will run games at 1080p 50-60 fps at high/ultra... I chose the 5600XT for future proofing reasons, I think it'll be the better buy if you want to keep the GPU for longer. In some games the 5600XT is about 50% faster which is massive.

I wouldn't change the CPU... save up and just refresh the whole platform to Ryzen(or Intel if they manage to catch up)... that includes CPU+mobo+ddr4 memory. When you decide to change it, I'd strongly advise to upgrade the PSU too.

Just keep the I5... I wouldn't spend any more on an aging platform. You can squeeze a bit more performance by OCing that 4670k.

Case is fine.

Masdock

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2013
The 5500XT will run games at 1080p 50-60 fps at high/ultra... I chose the 5600XT for future proofing reasons, I think it'll be the better buy if you want to keep the GPU for longer. In some games the 5600XT is about 50% faster which is massive.

I wouldn't change the CPU... save up and just refresh the whole platform to Ryzen(or Intel if they manage to catch up)... that includes CPU+mobo+ddr4 memory. When you decide to change it, I'd strongly advise to upgrade the PSU too.

Just keep the I5... I wouldn't spend any more on an aging platform. You can squeeze a bit more performance by OCing that 4670k.

Case is fine.

Certainly going to purchase the heat sink and take on your advice regarding the CPU.

Last question really, found a Geforce GTX 1660 for a similar price, saw it go down to 180 the other month. Do they compare, or is the Radeon still the better option here?:

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/pali...ddr6-pci-express-graphics-card-gx-055-pl.html

Quite a few points about your current system and where you want it to be.

Noise levels: a new CPU cooler, as suggested by ChumP, should help with noise levels. I would also ask when was the last time you cleaned the inside of the PC of dust? Certainly give that a try as it could be dust clogging up the fans and heatsink.

Performance: Ultimately it would mean the biggest overhaul. Coupled with your desire to make the system smaller it effectively means a new PC in its entirety.

Your CPU options are limited by your current motherboard, and even if you could get an i7-4790k (for example) you'd have to go used market to make it economically worthwhile. For whatever reason Intel CPUs still hold their value, and it isn't worth the price for old technology. You cannot keep your current motherboard and get a current generation CPU.

Moving to a smaller case will really depend what you mean. Is it just smaller but fit your current components, or a really small PC (in which you use a mATX or even ITX motherboard)? If the latter you may want to consider the CPU cooler aspect too in order to reuse it.

Masdock

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2013
Quite a few points about your current system and where you want it to be.

Noise levels: a new CPU cooler, as suggested by ChumP, should help with noise levels. I would also ask when was the last time you cleaned the inside of the PC of dust? Certainly give that a try as it could be dust clogging up the fans and heatsink.

Performance: Ultimately it would mean the biggest overhaul. Coupled with your desire to make the system smaller it effectively means a new PC in its entirety.

Your CPU options are limited by your current motherboard, and even if you could get an i7-4790k (for example) you'd have to go used market to make it economically worthwhile. For whatever reason Intel CPUs still hold their value, and it isn't worth the price for old technology. You cannot keep your current motherboard and get a current generation CPU.

Moving to a smaller case will really depend what you mean. Is it just smaller but fit your current components, or a really small PC (in which you use a mATX or even ITX motherboard)? If the latter you may want to consider the CPU cooler aspect too in order to reuse it.

Hi! Thanks for the reply,

I clean it for dust regularly by the sound from the GPU and heatsink is what does it. I'm going to replace these two with the above mentioned rec commendations, but am unsure of which GPU due to pricing.

I think I'm going to hold onto the motherboard, CPU, and PSU for now - PSU I will look at changing in the next year or so as I've not had a problem with it since buying it.

Investing in a new CPU and motherboard might be too much for now, so I'll try to squeeze whatever else I can out of it and buy a new GPU instead, but I'm milling over to take the reccommendation of a MSI Radeon RX 5500 or if there are any better options around thr £200 range.

Case wise, I'll like to keep it smaller but make sure dust and airflow isn't a problem. More likely than not, I'm looking at getting a Thermaltake Core V21 Matx.

However, I must say that £35.00 seems expensive for a heat sink, but if it's good value and does the job soundwise I'll take it.

Certainly going to purchase the heat sink and take on your advice regarding the CPU.

Last question really, found a Geforce GTX 1660 for a similar price, saw it go down to 180 the other month. Do they compare, or is the Radeon still the better option here?:

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/pali...ddr6-pci-express-graphics-card-gx-055-pl.html

Well... I was choosing the 5600xt because it is getting really close to the RTX 2060 Super in terms of performance at a much lower price... NVidia's driver advantage won't make up for the price and performance difference, which makes the 5600XT much better price/performance option.

If you're entering the 5500XT teritorry, then the 1660 or 1660 super is the better choice clearly. The 1660 has similar performance to the 5500XT, but better driver support at a similar price.

My recommendation stands with the 5600XT, if you have the budget.

Last edited:
Reactions: Masdock

Masdock

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2013
Well... I was choosing the 5600xt because it is getting really close to the RTX 2060 Super in terms of performance at a much lower price... NVidia's driver advantage won't make up for the price and performance difference, which makes the 5600XT much better price/performance option.

If you're entering the 5500XT teritorry, then the 1660 or 1660 super is the better choice clearly. The 1660 has similar performance to the 5500XT, but better driver support at a similar price.

My recommendation stands with the 5600XT, if you have the budget.

Won't there be major bottleneck between a Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4 GHz Quad-Core Processor and 5600XT,? Will this be a problem?