Updating my cpu - 6700k to 7700k

Dave Brien

Reputable
Nov 11, 2014
Proper noob here ;-) My motherboard is a z170x G1 running on a 6700k and it says that its "supports" the 7th gen 7700k, but what i want to know is - can i just install the 7700k without going into the bios at all or will i need to go into the bios first?

Solution

Make sure you follow the directions in the manual carefully.

To upgrade the BIOS, use either the GIGABYTE Q-Flash or @BIOS utility.
• Q-Flash allows the user to quickly and easily upgrade or back up BIOS without entering the operating system.
• @BIOS is a Windows-based utility that searches and downloads the latest version of BIOS from the Internet
and updates the BIOS.
For instructions on using the Q-Flash and @BIOS utilities, refer to Chapter 5, "BIOS Update Utilities."

Please let us know how things work out. Questions are archived so your question will live on to help others. Pay it forward by choosing a...

Which BIOS do you have? F20 or later and you should be good to go. https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-Z170X-Gaming-G1-rev-10#support-dl

I agree with Constantine_99. That is a complete and total waste of money that I didn't see which should be impossible :(. Unless you received the 7700K for free I wouldn't change a thing.

mekyle99

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2016

I have to agree with everyone else here, the difference between going from a 6700k to a 7700k is almost nothing at all, performance wise.

Make sure you follow the directions in the manual carefully.

To upgrade the BIOS, use either the GIGABYTE Q-Flash or @BIOS utility.
• Q-Flash allows the user to quickly and easily upgrade or back up BIOS without entering the operating system.
• @BIOS is a Windows-based utility that searches and downloads the latest version of BIOS from the Internet
and updates the BIOS.
For instructions on using the Q-Flash and @BIOS utilities, refer to Chapter 5, "BIOS Update Utilities."

Please let us know how things work out. Questions are archived so your question will live on to help others. Pay it forward by choosing a solution(if you've been helped) so the next person will have their fix waiting for them.

Solution
even if it's dirt cheap, going for the hassle of upgrading BIOS and spending money for some barely noticeable improvement is a waste imho

u're better off saving those for an i7 9th gen / Ryzen+ instead XD
or upgrading a GPU [if what u have now is not good enough + u're a gamer/someone who needs decent graphical power too]