Updating Netgear firmware with Optimum as ISP

Apr 9, 2018
I've been trying to update the firmware on my Netgear nighthawk AC1900 C7000 cable modem router. both optimum and netgear both say that they cannot do this, and that the other company should be the one to do so. Optimum seemed to have the more compelling argument, and one of their reps mentioned that they recalled seeing a similar issue on this website, which ultimately ended in netgear updating the firmware after all. Has anyone had an issue with this before, or used netgear hardware with optimum in general? My only concern was that the wifi disconnected and reconnected several times after installation (although it is working great now).

Apr 9, 2018
@USAFRet the first netgear rep said that the wifi disconnecting/reconnecting could be due to out of date firmware (emphasis on could). Full disclosure i'm a layman when it comes to modems, and this is mostly me being overly critical. after the initial disconnect/reconnect fit 6 hours ago its only done it twice (more briefly than the first i'll add) since.

USAFRet

Titan

Then a firmware update should come direct from Netgear.
If that is the actual problem.

Is it the WiFi disconnecting? Or overall internet access, both wired and WiFi?
Does it happen on all systems at the same time, or just one?

"Identify the problem before applying a solution."

Apr 9, 2018
Everything on the wifi disconnected simultaneously. As previously stated, netgear has explicitly stated that they do not update firmware for this product themselves. wired seems to be working fine as of posting, however i did not have anything connected to the internet via cable when the outages occurred.