Question Updating PC - What’s best with what I’m not upgrading?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Hyozans

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2015
I hope I am not overstaying my welcome.. but I wanted to post what I am leaning towards purchasing for MOBO and RAM, in part with the info you guys have given me.

MOBO: ASUS Prime Z690-P D4 LGA 1700 Intel 12th Gen ATX Motherboard- PCIe 5.0, DDR4, 14+1 Power Stages, 3x M.2, 2.5Gb LAN, V-M.2 e-key, Front Panel USB 3.2 Gen 1 USB Type-C, Thunderbolt 4 Support, Arua Sync
https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E16813119511

RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR4 3200 (PC4 25600) Desktop Memory Model F4-3200C16D-32GVK
https://www.newegg.com/g-skill-32gb-288-pin-ddr4-sdram/p/N82E16820232091

I do have a concern that the RAM is not listed as supported on ASUS website for that MOBO. While very very similar model numbers are listed for GSKILL, that exact one is not. Do I need to worry about this? I'm still thinking Intel i5-12600K and that Scythe cooler recommended above.

Lafong

Respectable
Do I need to worry about this?
To some degree.

You could also go to Crucial.com and use their configurator to find Crucial RAM that they say is compatible with your motherboard. Then buy that exact Crucial kit.

Or try to find someone (here or elsewhere) that owns your chosen motherboard and is running without incident. Then buy the same RAM kit they bought.

Hyozans

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2015
So I went to Crucial.com and did the search on that MOBO, and it came up with a bunch of options. I went back to the ASUS MOBO site and did a search on the RAM and it only shows two options as compatible for Crucial (oddly 4000 and 4400 speeds, being 16GB x2). Not that I'm not willing to do those, but isnt that odd?

Lafong

Respectable
Do you mean:

Crucial shows a bunch of options, but only 2 of that bunch appears on the official qualified memory list for that motherboard at the Asus website?

If so, that's not odd at all.

Asus is not going to test a jillion different RAM possibilities. Nor is any other board maker. The only ones on the official Asus list are those it has bothered to test and qualify. There are no doubt many others that would work fine.

I'd buy one of those that Crucial says is OK.

You can of course try to get some confirmation on another brand or simply take a chance.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS