Question Updating the bios of my "old" mobo

KaiserPhantasma

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2013
Good day

when updating the bios of my old mobo, do I need to download and install each and every version ex. starting from v1 I need to download v2,v3,v4,v5? or can I just jump straight ex. the bios of my mobo is v1 and jump straight to v5 (given that v5 is the last/latest mobo bios available from the manufacturer)?

These are my currently existing parts in case these are needed for additional information

Specs:
Motherboard: MSI Z87 Mpower MAX
Processor: Intel 4670k Processor
Cooler: Noctua NH-D15
Graphics Card: Sapphire Pulse 5500XT 8GB
SSD: Samsung SSD 840 PRO drive128gb
HDD: Seagate barracuda 3tb
RAM: Corsair DDR 3 Vengeance 8x2 1600mhz
PSU: Corsair AX 760 (Platinum Rated)
Case: Corsair 300r

Reactions: Suparno15

KaiserPhantasma

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2013
It depends.

Some motherboard might make yo u do v3 before v4, and v4 before v5.
Others, only the latest.

Good thing I asked first here then, dodged a bullet there

I'm guessing it's also the same with the "benefits" then of the said BIOS update especially with this 4th gen iteration of intel's socket? meaning if I don't do the BIOS update that allows the board to take a refreshed 4th gen CPU chip and skipped it to the latest where it isn't mentioned in its patch notes then I still wouldn't be able to mount the refreshed 4th gen CPU chips

note: this isn't for the CPU it's for the GPU BIOS update since there were some apparent "advances" that may help me in troubleshooting the problem

https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...-t-with-my-new-5500-xt.3664904/#post-22076110

I would ask why are you updating the BIOS?
If it's not broke don't fix it.

IKR? I wouldn't want to do it too if it were my choice but because of the circumstances relating to another post of mine in the the GPU section where I need to troubleshoot, this is one of the highly probably causes hence forcing my hand to update it when I didn't asked for it in the first place

https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...-t-with-my-new-5500-xt.3664904/#post-22076110

USAFRet

Titan
Good thing I asked first here then, dodged a bullet there

I'm guessing it's also the same with the "benefits" then of the said BIOS update especially with this 4th gen iteration of intel's socket? meaning if I don't do the BIOS update that allows the board to take a refreshed 4th gen CPU chip and skipped it to the latest where it isn't mentioned in its patch notes then I still wouldn't be able to mount the refreshed 4th gen CPU chips
Trying to open the Support page for that board....just stays at a blank screen.
https://us.msi.com/Motherboard/support/Z87-MPOWER-MAX

But, the BIOS section in there would tell you of the EXACT procedure.

Oct 15, 2020
Good day

when updating the bios of my old mobo, do I need to download and install each and every version ex. starting from v1 I need to download v2,v3,v4,v5? or can I just jump straight ex. the bios of my mobo is v1 and jump straight to v5 (given that v5 is the last/latest mobo bios available from the manufacturer)?

These are my currently existing parts in case these are needed for additional information

Specs:
Motherboard: MSI Z87 Mpower MAX
Processor: Intel 4670k Processor
Cooler: Noctua NH-D15
Graphics Card: Sapphire Pulse 5500XT 8GB
SSD: Samsung SSD 840 PRO drive128gb
HDD: Seagate barracuda 3tb
RAM: Corsair DDR 3 Vengeance 8x2 1600mhz
PSU: Corsair AX 760 (Platinum Rated)
Case: Corsair 300r
Hello Friend if your system running well there is no needed to update your bios. If you eager to do same then you may go also you can jump to latest version bios. But once you Update there will be no option for you to roll back your Bios and also booting process may be increase as I have also MSI motherboard and I check

KaiserPhantasma

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2013
just an update, successfully updated the BIOS and ME (whatever the ME is) to the "latest" available file MSI had for my specific BIOS, halfway through the update it suddenly blanked out and thought "son of a bitch I'm done" but it just booted and continued with the update process till it was done

Hello Friend if your system running well there is no needed to update your bios. If you eager to do same then you may go also you can jump to latest version bios. But once you Update there will be no option for you to roll back your Bios and also booting process may be increase as I have also MSI motherboard and I check

had to update the BIOS to troubleshoot a problem of mine, but it seems it's not the BIOS that's the problem, and yes like you said it did increase the booting time process once I updated the BIOS which is weird, thought it'd at the very least stay at the same boot time (worst case scenario) or even faster (good scenario)

what MOBO do you have out of curiosity?