[SOLVED] Updating the BIOS

Dcopymope

Prominent
BANNED
Aug 13, 2018
Since the bios for my new X570 Motherboard is already a few versions outdated, I was wondering which version I should update to, if at all necessary. Should I just skip to the latest version?

Gigabyte AMD X570 Motherboard

d43fcf1326454317.jpg

Solution
I've read about folks really messing up their computers because of bios updates.
Risk is pretty low as long as you follow a couple rules:
  1. Avoid risk of power outage (e.g., don't update during a storm, use a UPS if you live somewhere with unreliable power)
  2. Update from within the BIOS. I think there are tools that let you flash the BIOS from within Windows, but this increases the chances of something going wrong
  3. Update chipset drivers beforehand if applicable, as per the BIOS release notes

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
Unless the BIOS update description specifically states it resolves an issue you are experiencing, do not update the BIOS. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

-Wolf sends
Given all the refinements and fixes AMD is still rolling out for X570/Ryzen 3K (e.g. boost behavior), I don't really think this advice is applicable here. To get the best out of Ryzen you generally want to be running the latest BIOS.

Go step by step... Do not skip
I'm curious where this belief comes from. I've always just gone straight to the most recent. GB's own instruction manual for that board says to just download the most recent. Unless the BIOS notes or the manual say to flash each rev incrementally, I don't see why you'd have to.

Reactions: Dcopymope

Dcopymope

Prominent
BANNED
Aug 13, 2018
Given all the refinements and fixes AMD is still rolling out for X570/Ryzen 3K (e.g. boost behavior), I don't really think this advice is applicable here. To get the best out of Ryzen you generally want to be running the latest BIOS.

I'm curious where this belief comes from. I've always just gone straight to the most recent. GB's own instruction manual for that board says to just download the most recent. Unless the BIOS notes or the manual say to flash each rev incrementally, I don't see why you'd have to.

Yeah, I was told the exact opposite advice on Microsoft website, that I should just update the latest version since it contains all the fixes and updates of the previous versions anyway.

Reactions: TJ Hooker

cyberlost07

Reputable
Jul 29, 2015
So, what's the verdict? Update or not? My current bios is 1.09 the updates version with 2.20
Currently, my computer is running fine.

I have updated bios on other computers in the past. It seem like there are a lot of warnings as posted earlier..."if it ain't broke...don't fix it... I've read about folks really messing up their computers because of bios updates. Suggestions?

I have the asrock 570 pro, 3900x.......

Dcopymope

Prominent
BANNED
Aug 13, 2018
So, what's the verdict? Update or not? My current bios is 1.09 the updates version with 2.20
Currently, my computer is running fine.

I have updated bios on other computers in the past. It seem like there are a lot of warnings as posted earlier..."if it ain't broke...don't fix it... I've read about folks really messing up their computers because of bios updates. Suggestions?

I have the asrock 570 pro, 3900x.......

Oh I just updated it to the latest version. I didn't bother doing it by the incremental method. The way I see it, there will always be something 'broke' or 'out of date' with PC's with the rate that technology improves every year. I'd just treat it like disabling the services running in the background. Just carefully research each subsequent update to make sure it won't break your PC.

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
I've read about folks really messing up their computers because of bios updates.
Risk is pretty low as long as you follow a couple rules:
  1. Avoid risk of power outage (e.g., don't update during a storm, use a UPS if you live somewhere with unreliable power)
  2. Update from within the BIOS. I think there are tools that let you flash the BIOS from within Windows, but this increases the chances of something going wrong
  3. Update chipset drivers beforehand if applicable, as per the BIOS release notes

Solution

cyberlost07

Reputable
Jul 29, 2015
Well, after the computer got stuck in cybermode somewhere for 30 minutes.....then smoke started coming out of.... Not. I am now updated and ready to go. Believe me, I was really hesitant about doing this after Cyberpower said that I was on my own with this update. Whew. Thanks, TJ!

Reactions: TJ Hooker