Question Updating the Bios

Xbmitchx

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2015
So, maybe the suggestion of this i found is wrong but a friends pc wont boot past the black screen with windows logo and the loading circle, it also freezes when trying to reset the pc. I saw a suggestion that flashing the bios may possibly fix this. I am trying to help him but im unsure of which bios from the msi to tell him to download to a flash drive to use and i dont want to tell him the wrong thing.

His motherboard:
MSI B350M PRO VH PLUS (MS-7B07)
BIOS Version-E7B07AMS.270
BIOS Build Date-3/16/2018

Any help is much appreciated!!

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Assuming this worked until recently, given it's a B350 board? If so, you shouldn't randomly run into 'new' BIOS issues that prevent booting, unless you make changes within the BIOS itself.

The lock up at Windows boot could be a variety of things, from RAM issues to software/drivers among others.

A BIOS update won't 'hurt', strictly speaking - assuming they don't cut the power during, etc.... but equally, I don't think it'll do much good either.

A BIOS update might improve RAM compatibility, so if that's the underlying cause it could be beneficial. But you could test whether it's likely by disabling XMP/DOCP/A-XMP (if enabled) in the BIOS.

BIOS Version-E7B07AMS.270
BIOS Build Date-3/16/2018

They're on BIOS version 27... surprisingly dated 3/20 on MSIs site.
Doesn't look like there's any requirements to update to an incremental BIOS, so they should be able to jump to the latest (non-Beta) release: 7B07v2D
https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/B350M-PRO-VH-PLUS

Xbmitchx

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2015
My friend already attempted booting with taking the RAM out and it still froze, he also attempted booting with no gpu as well. He has never messed with the bios at all. he says this all happened after he updated the Origin game launcher so that he could play Apex on pc now that theres crossplay.

I find it a little odd that it also freezes when he attempts to do the "reset pc" function.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
I find it a little odd that it also freezes when he attempts to do the "reset pc" function.

Not too surprising really. That's a software reset, and a software problem/hang etc could impact the ability to reset.

Could try booting into SafeMode and uninstalling the Origin launcher. Reboot & see if he can then make it into Windows without issue. If so, reinstall the launcher, see if the issue persists.

Xbmitchx

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2015
yea, trying now to get him booted into safe mode, currently it freezes on the "preparing automatic repair" when doing it via interrupting boot 3 times or whatever it is.

Update: we tried getting him to be able to launch into safe mode using windows installation usb and it even froze up trying to do that. He's just going to take it into a pc shop and get it looked at/fixed.

Last edited: