Question Updating the ol x99 have questions

partiesplayin

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2013
I have an old Asus ROG rampage V extreme motherboard that has had a 5820k in it it's whole life. And due to price I have decided to get an E5 xenon chip to put in it. This one Intel Xenon 2697a w4 16 core @3ghz . I have a couple of questions I see that the board supports this chip at 1701 bios which I believe it's already running a newer one but...

Will the aio cooler I had for the 5820k still work with the 2697a w4. ?

Also do I need to buy new ram eemc....? Or can I use standard ddr4 memory ?

Lastly what is the actual max memorie supported by my motherboard ?

Thanks for and anwers

Last edited:
Cooler should be fine. Cooler support is generally by socket, not by CPU model, other than whether cooler is "capable enough" or not. If the cooler was capable enough for the 5820k then it's likely capable enough for most CPUs.

ECC memory is supported but not required on that CPU.

That board supports up to 3300mhz DDR4.

Last edited:

partiesplayin

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2013
Thanks for the response Darkbreeze.

I was really wondering about the ram eemc/ddr4 standard . Also do you know what the max support memory capacity is? I keep herring 128gb but it has 8 slots so I'm not sure if it's 128 or 256gb.

Could you recommend a ram kit that would fill it up to max

It only supports up to 64GB of memory.

If we are being honest, there are few 8 x8GB kits out there now at anything other than 2133mhz that are even remotely reasonably priced. And since that board only supports up to 8GB per DIMM slot, using a kit with fewer DIMMs and still achieving 64GB does not seem to be possible based on the motherboard specs and user manual. Pretty much any 8 x8GB kit from 2133-3300mhz SHOULD work as those Intel platforms were very forgiving when it came to memory support so long as ALL of the memory came in ONE kit using ALL matched DIMMs, so any of these are probably going to work fine.

https://pcpartpicker.com/products/memory/#S=333,3300&b=ddr4&Z=65536008&sort=price&page=1

BUT, you MIGHT be able to get by using 2 four DIMM kits. I don't normally recommend putting memory together that doesn't all come in the same kit, but in this case it might be worth taking the chance. If the memory kit is under 2400mhz it probably will work fine with multiple kits that are the same model, but when you get to higher speed kits, ie 3300mhz etc., that is where you most increase the potential for problems when using multiple kits together and those problems can range anywhere from nothing at all to won't work at full speed to won't even POST.

If you are willing to take the chance, especially if you are somewhere where you can easily return it if it doesn't play nice together, then something like this should work fine.

PCPartPicker Part List

Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 32 GB (4 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($92.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 32 GB (4 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($92.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $185.98
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2023-01-24 14:31 EST-0500

partiesplayin

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2013
Thanks again. Ouch only 64gb that's not going to be very much good for what I wanted to use this setup for.

I wanted to turn this old system into a game server but being as I'm limited to only 64gb of ram that is really going to limit how many servers I can run. Again thanks for the reply.