Question Updating to latest bios on Gigabyte B450 Aorus Pro Wifi

arturodgonz

Prominent
Aug 12, 2018
Last time I reset my bios was in late January of this year. I'm currently on the F5 version of the BIOS but I was trying to update to the F30 version. I downloaded the compressed file from Gigabyte's support website. Unpacked the file using 7-zip to a usb flash drive. When I unpacked the file I got a file named "B450AORW.F30" that had the file type "F30". The previous bios file which I saved to the same usb has a file type of just "file". Not sure if this is relevant but I figured I'd include that info. Anyways, I restarted the computer and hit delete until I was in the BIOS menu. Selected the Q-flash option, navigated to the flash drive and selected the F30 file as my new bios. Installation went to 100% then rebooted my system but after a few seconds I got a black screen with a white cursor mark that soon disappeared and that's when I got a blue screen saying my PC needed repair. Luckily since I saved my old BIOS version I rebooted and reverted back to the F5 update. Haven't noticed any issues and everything is running as before. Does anyone have any idea why the BIOS update failed? Or some advice as to what I did wrong or what I could try? Thanks!

#1) It appears there is no reason for you to update to F30.

#2) Updating to F30 allows the use of the Athlon 200-series (Raven2) APU.

#3) Instructions for F30 clearly state:
Update AMD Chipset Driver 18.50.16.01 or later version before update this BIOS.