Updating to SSD, but have power supply question.

SamanthaHHI

Honorable
Jan 29, 2014
I have an Acer Aspire TC-605. It came with one hard drive and I installed an additional hard drive. Now I want to add an SSD. I purchased a Samsung 850 Pro. Then I realized I need a data transfer cable, so I have that in my Amazon cart. Then I realized I had beeter recheck my cable situation. I discovered that I do have an ssd data "port" located on the same cable as my hard drives. And there is a spot for me to mount my SSD. What I don't have is enough power plugs on my motherboard.

What I want to do is purchase a hard drive power plug with a splitter for 2 hard drives OR a power plug with a splitter that has an attachment for both the hard drive and the SSD. Can someone point out that animal to me on Amazon?

Thank you so much!

~ Samantha

PS...does anyone know with the Samsung cloning software if you have to clone the whole dirve or can you exclude some folders?

Solution

USAFRet

Titan
Assuming you have an available USB 3.0 port, a cable such as this would work:
grEDfdW.jpg

For the data...the Samsung Data Migration lets you leave off thing like Doc/Music/Video. Other than that, everything goes.
But...
What are the sizes involved here? Current drive consumed space and new SSD size?

SamanthaHHI

Honorable
Jan 29, 2014
USAFRet > Yes, that is what I am purchasing for the data transfer

I have 680gb in my users folder alone and moving to a 250 ssd, so I want user file to remain on current hard drive/

USAFRet

Titan

Well...you have to do a DEEP dive into exactly what is consumed on your current drive.
You cannot leave the entirety of the /Users/ folder on the HDD. Trust me...bad things will happen.
http://www.zdnet.com/dont-move-your-windows-user-profiles-folder-to-another-drive-7000022142/

You can, however, redirect the Libraries with to be elsewhere, but not the whole /Users/ folder.
That comes later, though.

Question - Do you have another drive handy, where you can put things temporarily?
Your current drive consumption makes this proposed clone operation a complicated idea.

SamanthaHHI

Honorable
Jan 29, 2014
Honestly...I was trying to get a response to my original question about the cables so I could get that set into motion and have them on there way to me.

>> I would love it if anyone could respond about the cables!! <<

Though...I did ask and I do appreciate the insight on the cloning concerns. I basically have this resolved with space on another external hard drive.I was just curious if it were possible. I am aware also of redirecting user files as I just set up my mothers ssd on a new computer. Nifty stuff to know.

USAFRet

Titan

That cable I showed above will do exactly what you need.
One of my Samsung drives even came with one.

Take a look at the SATA power splitters listing at https://www.google.com/search?source=hp&ei=Nq4tWoWfDomZmQGeh4jYDQ&q=sata+power+connector+splitter+for+psu&oq=sata+power+connector+splitter+for+psu&gs_l=psy-ab.3..33i22i29i30k1.2775.17206.0.18799.37.30.0.7.7.0.118.2537.26j3.29.0....0...1c.1.64.psy-ab..1.36.2683...0j0i131k1j0i10k1j0i22i30k1.0.lWhfmidkKrw

If your PSU has an available Molex-type connector like the one shown at Newegg that's featured on that Google search page - the Rosewill RCW-302, that would be an easy, simple way to go.

Note the SATA cable splitter one featured at Walmart - the Startech one for $6.27. Another option.

And there are really scads of these types of splitters offered at Amazon & other online (and retail) vendors as well. You should have no problem picking one up.

See which one appeals to you. They're quite basic in operation - installation is a snap.

SamanthaHHI

Honorable
Jan 29, 2014

I am sooo confused here. The only cable option I see you presenting is the data transfer cable that is an external feature. I have one on order. That is not my question.

I am specifically looking at the question about how to "power" the unit. Iam specifically looking for the proper molex item that has a splitter so that it can connect and power 2 hard drives or a hard drive and an SSD (meaning it would have oth types of connections.

Maybe this is what you are answering, but I am not seeing the suggested cables :??:

USAFRet

Titan

In my subsequent link, this cable:
https://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-Power-Splitter-Adapter-PYO4SATA/dp/B0086OGN9E

Solution