Updating to Windows 10 on new Hardware

squidmam12

Honorable
Dec 10, 2013
I recently purchased an SSD for the first time. I used to only have a 1 TB HDD. Anyways when I built my computer, I installed windows via a CD and product key for windows 8.1. I use the same Microsoft account on my laptop which is running on Windows 10. I did some research and found out that windows 10 is linked to my Microsoft account. There are no update options it seems to update to windows 10 from windows 8. Is there anyway to update?

Thanks

Solution

Create a USB or DVD install thing, here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10/
Install with that.
Later, activate it with your MS account.

USAFRet

Titan

You have 2 different systems, a laptop (Win 10), and a desktop (Win 8.1)?
You can't use the same license to upgrade the Win 8.1 laptop to upgrade it to Win 10.

squidmam12

Honorable
Dec 10, 2013
Sorry if I wasnt clear about this. I updated from windows 8 to 10 a few months ago on my HDD. I made sure my windows 10 account was linked to my microsoft account. I unplug my hdd and plug in my ssd with a new SATA cable. I proceeded to then install my windows 8 via my cd and product key. I install all the updates that were available which didn't include windows 10. I install all my graphics drivers, etc... I then re-plug my HDD in, and update the load order of the drives so the SSD is first with only the OS and drivers, then the HDD with everything else.

When i go to update and recovery now on windows 8.1, there is no update to windows 10 even though supposedly my windows 10 is linked to microsoft account which is what im using.

USAFRet

Titan

Oh, OK. Right
There is no 'upgrade' the way you're doing this.

You should be able to just install Win 10, and activate it with your MS account linking.
No Win 8.1 needed.

USAFRet

Titan

Create a USB or DVD install thing, here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10/
Install with that.
Later, activate it with your MS account.

Solution