Updating windows 10 takes extremely long?

xX_asdfjkl_Xx

Commendable
Aug 8, 2016
My computer already has windows 10 but when I booted it up, it showed a screen saying "Updating windows, your computer will restart several times" with a circle and a percentage in the middle showing the progress. However, it has been 3 hours and it's only at 15%...

Do I have to wait for the entire thing to complete, or is there some way of speeding up/restarting the process?

Thanks!

Solution
i think your PC is just old and its slowly grinding its way through the update.

I also wouldn't have put win 10 on it as you wouldn't be seeing an improvement using it.

I tried to put it on my mums 9 year old dell and it sat at 75% for 4 hours before i gave up and hit restart. I had been using upgrade assistant, i will just wait for it to come to her via windows update and try again.

One thing I read is it helps to set up win 10 as a clean boot before installing it as Anti virus can slow it down.

xX_asdfjkl_Xx

Commendable
Aug 8, 2016
Unfortunately it was given to me by a friend and I'm not a genius when it comes to computer hardware, so I'll tell you as much as I know:

Graphics card: GTX 285 (computer is a couple years old)
Motherboard: P6T deluxe V2
Corsair 850 watt power supply (if that makes any difference)
CPU: ???
I believe I have a decent amount of storage left, I have steam with about 8-10 games actually installed on the computer, most under a GB

Really sorry about how little I can give you. Again, I'm not a computer expert, but if there's anything else I can try and tell you then I'll do my best :/

garretsw

Honorable
Oct 26, 2012

Do you have a hdd or ssd? do you know?

garretsw

Honorable
Oct 26, 2012
Well for now i just recommend you wait until the update is done and then try it out for a couple of hours afterwards. If anything is wrong after that then get back to me. unfortunately there is nothing we can do to diagnose the issue until the update is done. Your hdd might just be slow. Even though i don't thing it should be THAT slow.

Colif

Win 11 Master
i think your PC is just old and its slowly grinding its way through the update.

I also wouldn't have put win 10 on it as you wouldn't be seeing an improvement using it.

I tried to put it on my mums 9 year old dell and it sat at 75% for 4 hours before i gave up and hit restart. I had been using upgrade assistant, i will just wait for it to come to her via windows update and try again.

One thing I read is it helps to set up win 10 as a clean boot before installing it as Anti virus can slow it down.

Solution