Updating Windows 8.1 PC with SSD Primary Drive and HDD Secondary Drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

austinwade912

Distinguished
May 28, 2010
I currently have a PC that is running Windows 8.1. I have a 120GB SSD as the primary drive ( C: ) with the OS and a few programs installed on it. I also have a 750GB HDD ( D: ) installed in the computer. Over the past year and a half, I've installed some programs to the SSD and some to a folder on the HDD. I plan on updating this computer to Windows 10. To do that though, I was planning on wiping the SSD and doing a fresh install to it and just reinstalling any programs. My question is if there will be any issues regarding the programs installed on the HDD. I'm guessing some of them probably still have certain files installed on the SSD and that wiping it will mess up those programs.

I'm also wondering what a good way of installing programs to a secondary drive is for the future. I'd like to install some programs to the secondary drive without worrying about certain files still existing on the SSD while still being able to install some programs to the SSD itself. This way if updating in the future, I wouldn't have to worry about this issue. Let me know if this makes sense and if I need to clarify something. Thanks for reading.

Solution
2 options for a new, larger SSD:

1 Clean install of the OS. This will require reinstalling your applications. You can install them to the same place where they are now on the HDD. By doing so, you're telling the new OS on the SSD where they are.
Basically, just like you did it the first time.

2. Migration from the small SSD to the larger SSD.
Multiple free and paid applications will do this, with probably no issue.

I'm about to embark on exactly the same path - 120GB SSD to 250GB SSD, in preparation for going to Win 10.
I have most applications installed on the SSD, but Steam games and some applications live on HDD's.

Good way to install applications in the future? Just like you've always done. Select the target location when you...

USAFRet

Titan
2 options for a new, larger SSD:

1 Clean install of the OS. This will require reinstalling your applications. You can install them to the same place where they are now on the HDD. By doing so, you're telling the new OS on the SSD where they are.
Basically, just like you did it the first time.

2. Migration from the small SSD to the larger SSD.
Multiple free and paid applications will do this, with probably no issue.

I'm about to embark on exactly the same path - 120GB SSD to 250GB SSD, in preparation for going to Win 10.
I have most applications installed on the SSD, but Steam games and some applications live on HDD's.

Good way to install applications in the future? Just like you've always done. Select the target location when you install something. Trying to force it to always be elsewhere through some registry hack will end in tears.

Solution

IrvSp

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2013
Yes, you probably WILL lose some data relating to the D: drive. Windows puts a lot of info into the C:\USERS folder and the Registry, for all programs and date for ALL drives. Some programs on the D: might lose the license, progress, or even might not run at all.

Get an IMAGING program that will image the SSD's C:, get the new SSD and restore the image to that SSD. Best way to do that.

Status
Not open for further replies.