[SOLVED] Updating without restarting, because my computer will crash, is it possible?

CelticBorealis

Honorable
Aug 3, 2014
Hi all,

I have a very weird tech issue that's been going on for years (ever since I upgraded from Windows 7 to 10). I've posted about it before here and people have tried to help, but nothing I've tried works.

Basically, my computer will overheat and crash if I don't add/remove RAM when I shut down. I don't know why. It just does. I think it may somehow be overclocking without me telling it to, but that's just a theory. If I were to shut down and turn my computer back on (or restart) right now it will overheat and crash after a few minutes. If I shut down right now and remove a stick of RAM, I'll get an option when I turn it back on to use default RAM settings (by pressing F2) and my computer runs perfectly. I can use my computer for as long as I like, but when I shut down again, I'll have to add the RAM back in so I get the option to press F2 again or it will overheat and crash.

I've been doing this every time I've shut down/turned back on for getting on three years now. It's an extremely frustrating issue, but at least I know how to get around it. (You would not believe how long it took me to figure out that I could get around this issue by swapping out the RAM - I event spent £80 at a PC repair centre for them to tell me that there was no problem with my computer because it successfully stayed on overnight. Naturally I got it back home, switched it on and it crashed straight away.)

My problem right now is with updates or anything else that requires a restart. Right now, Windows is nagging me to update (it has been for a while and I keep postponing it). I've tried updating several times, and when it comes to the restart I can hear my computer fans start to go ridiculously fast, then the machine crashes. I let it cool down, do my RAM trick, and it does a system restore. I cannot get past the restart.

Is there a way I can update and shut down, but then manually switch it back on so the updates take effect?

If you happen to have a suggestion of getting around my crashing issue then that would be great too, but I'm especially keen right now to get these updates installed!

Thanks everyone for reading,

CB

Solution
I don't see any such link to a thread like that for you in your post history, so either you have this site confused with some other site, or you posted that thread under a difference user name.

Regardless, I think resolving the actual issue is the more important direction to take but that's up to you. As far as updating Windows is concerned, if an update requires a restart, then it does, and if it doesn't, it doesn't. There is NO way around that. None. You can't automagically make changes to dynamic link libraries and registry entries take effect if a restart is required, without restarting. Can't happen.

My advice would be that you 100% need to figure out the actual problem, and I'd be glad to try and help you with that but it might...
I don't see any such link to a thread like that for you in your post history, so either you have this site confused with some other site, or you posted that thread under a difference user name.

Regardless, I think resolving the actual issue is the more important direction to take but that's up to you. As far as updating Windows is concerned, if an update requires a restart, then it does, and if it doesn't, it doesn't. There is NO way around that. None. You can't automagically make changes to dynamic link libraries and registry entries take effect if a restart is required, without restarting. Can't happen.

My advice would be that you 100% need to figure out the actual problem, and I'd be glad to try and help you with that but it might require taking steps you are not going to be willing to take based on your desire to avoid resolving this properly in the first place. If you are willing to try, and resolving the problem MIGHT require replacing hardware, and it might not, then let me know.

This is almost certainly a motherboard/CPU, BIOS or CPU cooler related issue. I'd suspect that there is a very good chance of at least one or more bent pins on the CPU or a standoff that might be in the wrong place between the motherboard and motherboard tray (IF this was a home built system), or CPU cooler that is installed improperly with one side or corner being tighter than the others and causing the CPU to "cock" in the socket. Could even simply be a problem with a bad BIOS version or corrupted BIOS ROM.

Does this problem occur BEFORE you enter the Windows environment, as in, even in the BIOS, or only after it begins or completes booting into Windows?

Full hardware specs would be very helpful.

Solution

Lutfij

Titan
We will need a little more information. Please list your specs like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:

Are you on the latest BIOS update for your motherboard? You might also wan to state if you reinstalled the OS after you upgraded from Windows 7.