Updgrade Asus K50ID CPU from T4400 to T9600?

Saiyanz

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2009
Hi, I'm thinking of upgrading the processor in my Asus K50ID laptop from a T4400 to the T9600. The 2.2Ghz T4400 has a 800Mhz FSB and the 2.8Ghz T9600 has a 1066Mhz FSB. That's basically the only major difference I could pick up.

After googling online a bit I found that my laptop should support the following CPU's:

P8800/P8700/P7450/T6670/T6570/T5900

Now the P8800 and P8600 are also 1066Mhz FSB cpus so the T9600 should also work in the laptop? Plus the T9600 and T4400 are 35W and the P8800/P8700 are 25W so they have even less in common than the T9600.

Thermally and electrically everything should work according to the information provided (accuracy not verified), but if the microcode doesn't support it (BIOS), you maybe out of luck. The microcode will read the CPUID and then set various parameters accordingly (ie VID, bus speed, etc). So you need to see if ASUS has provided a BIOS update that supports the T9600. In some cases the mainboard may refuse to boot if it doesn't see a valid CPUID, in other cases it may boot, but the parameters set by it maybe incorrect or default (ie slow) for your particular CPU. I would look a little more into it before taking the plunge.

Just had a look at ASUS's site, not very helpful beyond the information you have given me. All the BIOS updates have absolutely no descriptions for what was fixed / added hardware support or anything. I would put a request in to their support site. Hopefully they will respond quickly to your inquiry. Ask them if there is any plan to support the T9600 on that hardware platform. Also you could look around www.notebookforums.com, they may possibly be able to help you.

Saiyanz

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2009
The chipset is the: nVidia MCP79D Mobile Chipset. Laptop specifications are as follows:

ASUS® K50ID Series ASUS K50ID-SX103R Home Series Notebook
Intel Pentium Dual Core T4400 2.2GHz 800MHz FSB 1M L2 Cache
2048MB DDR3-1066 SO-Dimm Memory (1x2048)
320GB SATA 5400rpm Hard Drive
15.6" WXGA HD Color Shine LED (1366x768 resolution) TFT LCD Display
nVidia Geforce GT320M with 1GB dedicated graphics
8 X Super Multi Writer optical drive
802.11b/g/n Wireless LAN
10/100/1000 Gigabit Ethernet LAN
Bluetooth
0.3MP Webcam
6 cell battery
Full Keyboard

G

The great this about this laptop is it's easy to upgrade. I have upgraded it. :). I bought it a year ago, but after few months i saw new featured laptops so i decided to upgrade. Now my configuration is

Core i5
2 GB ram
etc etc,............
now i have the same feature as my friend

refer to www.onlinenotebook.com to see new specification.

rock_rulz22

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2010
The great this about this laptop is it's easy to upgrade. I have upgraded it. :). I bought it a year ago, but after few months i saw new featured laptops so i decided to upgrade. Now my configuration is

Core i5
2 GB ram
etc etc,............

That's great. I was searching for some one who can say that Asus can be upgrated easily. I was afraid of that thing. Thanks a lot

rock_rulz22

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2010

Core i5
2 GB ram
etc etc,............

G

Hy man, I have the same laptop like you and I'm planing to upgrade the proccesor is too slow, can you tell me if you make it finaly?? How is working and what proccesor do you recomand me ?? This forum helped me a lot.
Thanks man,
CrissTee

Saiyanz

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2009
Hy man, I have the same laptop like you and I'm planing to upgrade the proccesor is too slow, can you tell me if you make it finaly?? How is working and what proccesor do you recomand me ?? This forum helped me a lot.
Thanks man,
CrissTee

Hi, I managed to get my hands on a T9900 :)
Swapped it with the T4400 and it worked straight away at 3.066Ghz. No bios changes or anything. Just remember to put on some fresh thermal paste.
The whole process took less than 30 minutes. There's quite a few screws to remove.
I even overclocked it to 3.4Ghz. Running 24/7 stable for 2 months now.

I'm in South Africa and laptop cpu's are not sold separately. I got the almost brand new T9900 from an old couple who didn't know the true value. R1000, or $125. What a luck :)
At stock it's better than all the i5's. The only better laptop cpus are the quad core i7's. Wonder how it is compared when overclocked. Love my laptop now :)

G

Hey man,
i5 is a quad core, are you sure that your motherboard supports a proccesor like this?? I have the same laptop and I want to upgrade it, the RAM is great , my video card also, the hdd is very generous with its 500gb but the proccesor sucks is too low, and it's kind of old:D I'm, thinking to upgrade to a P proccesor like P7450 P8700 or P8800. Can you tell me if you had any trouble with this????
Thanks a lot

G

Hy there,
Have you upgrade it in the end?? I have the same laptop and I want to get rid of the proccesor, is too low but don't know what to buy. Can you tell me more about you upgrade process???
Thanks man

Saiyanz

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2009
Hi, yes I did. Upgraded to a T9900. See my post above. The main thing when swapping out is to constantly discharge any static electricity to avoid damaging the CPU or motherboard.

G

One more question please. Do I have to make a bios upgrade?? I tryed all kind of winflash versions and bother bios programs and I did not make it with the upgrade of the bios, I even took the update from ASUS official site but no result, it shows eroors all the time, my windows works great and is a w7 ultimate 64bit. Do you think that is ok to take off the proccesor without an previous update. Please I need to know this.
Thank you soo much.

G

Can you tell me if I have to make a bios upgrade?? I have the same laptop ASUS K50ID and I want to upgrade the proccesor. I tryed all kind of winflash versions and other bios programs and I did not make it with the upgrade of the bios, I even took the update from ASUS official site but no result, it shows eroors all the time, my windows works great and has no problems and is a w7 ultimate 64bit. Do you think that is ok to take off the proccesor without an previous update. Please I need to know this.
Thank you soo much.

G

One more question please. Do I have to make a bios upgrade?? I tryed all kind of winflash versions and bother bios programs and I did not make it with the upgrade of the bios, I even took the update from ASUS official site but no result, it shows eroors all the time, my windows works great and is a w7 ultimate 64bit. Do you think that is ok to take off the proccesor without an previous update. Please I need to know this.
Thank you soo much.

G

I finaly bought an core 2 quad q9000, i swap it and first time worked for a few minutes, it is showing it in bios with all its config. and is booting but when windows is opening, afeter e few minutes the screen is freezeing. I reinstaled the windows for three times and the problem persist. What do you think? Is it because of the mainboad or of the cooling sistem? Its just not working :( What sould I do?
Thanks a lot

Stillwithyou

Honorable
Mar 16, 2013

Hello,
Have you solved your problem ?
I have the same laptop and I would like to upgrade my cpu with a Quad 9000
Thx for your reply !

Still.

FuryShower

Reputable
Mar 25, 2014

Hey man,

I also wish to upgrade my CPU to the Intel Core 2 Quad Q9000. Have you tried it finally or did you go for another CPU? I have the Asus PRO5DIN, it uses the same motherboard as the K50IN. I have the Intel Core 2 Duo T6670 at 2.2GHz and I would like to upgrade to the Q9000. I am just a bit worried after what the quoted Anon wrote.

Can you confirm any of his claims, can you confort me that it works or you don't have any info about this... either way, I would appreciate it greatly if you could answer me on this one. I can also get the T9900 but the Q9000 looked like a better option based on benchmarks.

With kind regards,
Fury