Upgrade 1060 or wait for Virtuallink

Jul 17, 2018
I am running a Zotac 6GB 1060, saw a good price for a Palit 1080 lately and was contemplating to make the switch. However Nvidia announced the Virtuallink and that made me wonder if i should wait for gtx 11xx? Please weight in.

Solution

All VR headsets connect to the GPU directly, just that now they use HDMI or DP...

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!

Even once this connector is released (which there are no guarantees when yet) there will surely be adapters to run new hardware on cards that are good enough for VR. They aren't going to just freeze out a huge part of the market.

Jul 17, 2018

Not sure if an adapter is possible, USB-C provides both data and power to the VR headset. And the ability to connect through the GPU directly might have a slight advantage to the mobo.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!

All VR headsets connect to the GPU directly, just that now they use HDMI or DP for video, USB for control (which goes to the motherboard), and a power wire. USB-C combines them, Its also higher speed but the only place where that matters is control, and honestly even the craziest controllers work fully on USB 2.0 there is no need for more speed. Still it is entirely possible for an adapter to be made to split those to work on older GPUs.

The advantage is its 1 cable instead of 3, thats it.

Solution
Jul 17, 2018

This reply just costed me $700