[SOLVED] Upgrade 1080 to 1080ti?

THpapi

Reputable
Mar 27, 2019
Hey guys!
I just got a 1440p 144hz G-sync compatible monitor and it is sweeeet. The only problem is I have it hooked up to my GTX 1080 Hybrid. While I can play well optimized or older titles or eSports at 1440p 144hz, I can't reach 144hz in a few other titles, such as Kingdom Come Deliverance, Star Wars Battlefront 2, and there are others you can imagine. I'm not poor but I'm not made of money either, I'm also comfortable repasting and modding GPU coolers. The RTX 2080 is outside my budget, and any of the other new RTX cards I believe aren't worth the upgrade over the 1080, just too much $$ for too little of a performance gain. There is one option though I have been considering: A used 1080ti. From data I've seen, this will give me performance better than any card up to the RTX 2080 (with global illumination off). The 1080ti's I see on ebay are going for under $600, I'm thinking if I can get one for closer to $500 it would be worth it. Based on benchmark data it seems surprisingly stronger than the regular 1080. What do you guys think? Is it a waste and I should keep my eyes out for used 2080's in the next year? Should I wait for next line of RTX cards? Is Global Illumination so amazing I can't miss out and should get a 2070? Would the 1080ti still fail to give me 144hz @ 1440p in kingdom come or other poorly optimized/intense titles and new triple A games?

Solution
  1. Yes, probably a waste of money (GTX1080 prices are pretty bad reflecting that the RTX2070 is a drop in replacement.
  2. Waiting for used RTX cards...There will always be some, but real price reductions won't happen until there is an alternative, then you should be looking at that
  3. RTX 2070 is roughly the same performance as a GTX1080, and turning on global illumination or Ray Tracing is going to be an even harder hit.
  4. 1080Ti is about 30% faster on the average. There will certainly be games it can't run at 144 FPS under all conditions. New games will certainly be coming out, though you can usually predict what their target performance level is.

Personally, I am waiting for Nvidia's next die shrink. Maybe see what Intel...

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
  1. Yes, probably a waste of money (GTX1080 prices are pretty bad reflecting that the RTX2070 is a drop in replacement.
  2. Waiting for used RTX cards...There will always be some, but real price reductions won't happen until there is an alternative, then you should be looking at that
  3. RTX 2070 is roughly the same performance as a GTX1080, and turning on global illumination or Ray Tracing is going to be an even harder hit.
  4. 1080Ti is about 30% faster on the average. There will certainly be games it can't run at 144 FPS under all conditions. New games will certainly be coming out, though you can usually predict what their target performance level is.

Personally, I am waiting for Nvidia's next die shrink. Maybe see what Intel brings to the table. I have a watercooled GTX1080 + QHD 144hz panel. As you say, older titles are great, and newer titles still get well above 60FPS for me, so it isn't the end of the world.

Not expecting much out of AMD at this point. Cards just aren't worth it for the money and they've been bleeding talent to Intel and Apple. I suspect it will be optimizations only for the next few release cycles. Radeon VII is an interesting die shrink, but it just shows the underlying architecture isn't great for gaming. (More suited to workstation tasks, same with the early Ryzen and Epyc chips, looking forward to the 3000 series though)

Solution