upgrade 150D or buy new?

Think I know the answer to this but want opinions.

Friend has a Dell 150...128MB..100MHz

Running really slow. It would cost around $120 to get his memory up to
512MB but it would still have the slow processor.

Would it be wiser to increase the memory or put that money into a
better machine. I'll add that it he originally bought the bare bones
machine. No cd burner or anything like that.

Thanks,
Bruce

It all depends on what he is doing with it. Most of us progress when they
first get a computer into doing things we didn't think we would be doing. If
that's the case with your friend, I'd say save the money for a new system.
The 2400 or 3000 is much more powerful than what he has now, even as a base
configuration.

If he is still using his old programs and does nothing other than some
office work, email, and internet, I'd say to format the thing and start
over.

I'm sure you will get various replies.

"Bruce Yates" <dbyates1@cox.net> wrote in message
> Think I know the answer to this but want opinions.
>
> Friend has a Dell 150...128MB..100MHz
>
> Running really slow. It would cost around $120 to get his memory up to
> 512MB but it would still have the slow processor.
>
> Would it be wiser to increase the memory or put that money into a
> better machine. I'll add that it he originally bought the bare bones
> machine. No cd burner or anything like that.
>
> Thanks,
> Bruce

100Mhz CPU and 512MB? Not likely unless the motherboard has one of the old
Intel Mercury chipsets, which supported 512MB. Otherwise, Pentium and Pentium
MMX systems are limited to 128MB, except for some servers.

I would not put money into a 100MHz system in the year 2005. Better to buy
either a new system or a good refurb used system from a reputable supplier.

.... Ben Myers

Bruce Yates wrote:

> Think I know the answer to this but want opinions.
>
> Friend has a Dell 150...128MB..100MHz
>
> Running really slow. It would cost around $120 to get his memory up to
> 512MB but it would still have the slow processor.

Not just a slow processor, a slow bus, graphics system, HDD, etc.

> Would it be wiser to increase the memory or put that money into a
> better machine. I'll add that it he originally bought the bare bones
> machine. No cd burner or anything like that.

The latter IMHO.