Upgrade 2350

I have a Dimension 2350 with 512meg of Ram and a Celeron 2.0 GHZ . I use
the computer to capture Video convert to mpeg 2 do some minor editing and
than burn to DVD . Would an upgrade to 2.6 Celeron about $88.00 or a 2.6
Pentium 4 about $145.00 be worth it. Would I see much of a performance
increase.

I can't comment on whether the upgrade would work, but this is one of the
few areas where processor speed matters. I went from a P4-1.7 to a P4-2.66
and saw a huge increase in rendering speed.

Tom
"Tom Morton" <tomspam@adelphia.net> wrote in message
>I have a Dimension 2350 with 512meg of Ram and a Celeron 2.0 GHZ . I use
> the computer to capture Video convert to mpeg 2 do some minor editing and
> than burn to DVD . Would an upgrade to 2.6 Celeron about $88.00 or a 2.6
> Pentium 4 about $145.00 be worth it. Would I see much of a performance
> increase.

curt

Definitely go for the P4 upgrade, this is where you'll see a noticeable
increase in performance. Going to another Celeron will not appreciably
improve performance. The 2350 will accept a P4 up 2.6 with a 400mhz fsb.
When you look for the
P4, be sure check to see if it supports hyperthreading. If it does, get a P4
that does 'NOT' have this feature because the mobo in the 2350 does not
support HT.

--
Curt,
'The way is open to those who would see'

"Tom Morton" <tomspam@adelphia.net> wrote in message
>I have a Dimension 2350 with 512meg of Ram and a Celeron 2.0 GHZ . I use
> the computer to capture Video convert to mpeg 2 do some minor editing and
> than burn to DVD . Would an upgrade to 2.6 Celeron about $88.00 or a 2.6
> Pentium 4 about $145.00 be worth it. Would I see much of a performance
> increase.

It it has HT, then it wouldn't have a 400FSB, would it?

Tom
"Curt" <no-no@no-time.com> wrote in message
> Definitely go for the P4 upgrade, this is where you'll see a noticeable
> increase in performance. Going to another Celeron will not appreciably
> improve performance. The 2350 will accept a P4 up 2.6 with a 400mhz fsb.
> When you look for the
> P4, be sure check to see if it supports hyperthreading. If it does, get a
> P4
> that does 'NOT' have this feature because the mobo in the 2350 does not
> support HT.
>
> --
> Curt,
> 'The way is open to those who would see'
>

> "Tom Morton" <tomspam@adelphia.net> wrote in message
>>I have a Dimension 2350 with 512meg of Ram and a Celeron 2.0 GHZ . I use
>> the computer to capture Video convert to mpeg 2 do some minor editing and
>> than burn to DVD . Would an upgrade to 2.6 Celeron about $88.00 or a 2.6
>> Pentium 4 about $145.00 be worth it. Would I see much of a performance
>> increase.

The P4 will make a bigger difference; make sure it's a 2.6/400 and not a
2.6/533 or 2.6/800 - neither of which will work.

"Tom Morton" <tomspam@adelphia.net> wrote in message
> I have a Dimension 2350 with 512meg of Ram and a Celeron 2.0 GHZ . I use
> the computer to capture Video convert to mpeg 2 do some minor editing and
> than burn to DVD . Would an upgrade to 2.6 Celeron about $88.00 or a 2.6
> Pentium 4 about $145.00 be worth it. Would I see much of a performance
> increase.

curt

No, it would not. You know this, as do I. However some may not know, so a
broader explanation would come in handy.

--

> No, it would not. You know this, as do I. However some may not know, so a
> broader explanation would come in handy.
>
> --
> Curt,

HT, at least initially - and currently- to my knowledge, was only offered
on:

533mhz P4 @ 3.06 and

800mhz P4 >>>down to speeds of 2.4GHz.

As pointed out, never was available on the 400mhz FSB P4.

Stew