Question Upgrade 2TB laptop storage ?

May 25, 2023
Hi, I have a laptop Asus Vivobook S15 (M3502) with an Intel 670p 512GB M.2 NVMe SSD
I need to upgrade to a 2tb ssd.
Which one do you recommend of those below considering that, apart from speed, temperatures and power consumption are also important?
  • Intel 670p (same model but in 2tb version)
  • Western Digital SN570
  • Samsung 970 evo plus
  • Silicon Power UD90
I don't know if the laptop supports PCIe version 4, hwinfo says yes.

May 25, 2023
SP UD90 or Teamgroup MP44L
I read that the 2TB SP UD90 is supposed to be QLC.
What would be better than the intel 670p for example?
The intel seems to me to have dram, SP does not.
The SP is pcie 4 but I don't know if my motherboard supports this standard.
The Samsung also has dram.
Teamgroup costs too much at my place.
I didn't specify this before, but obviously the new ssd will replace the 500gb 670p, (so there will be both OS and data).
My usage will certainly not be constantly moving files around, however performance wise I would like it to be at least as responsive as the current intel 760p.
Also the notebook among its weaknesses is that of temperatures which tend to rise, so I would like a unit with good temperatures.
I would like to understand through a thorough analysis which drive is best for me and why.
Thank you

May 25, 2023
970 EVO Plus.

But, what specifically is wrong with the current device?
nothing, I have to upgrade from 500gb to 2tb
In what way does HWinfo say yes.

Spec sheet of that laptop says this as I read it:

Storage

512GB M.2 NVMe™ PCIe® 3.0 SSD
1TB M.2 NVMe™ PCIe® 3.0 SSD
256GB M.2 NVMe™ PCIe® 3.0 SSD

Which doesn't mean 4.0 isn't supported
I made a mistake, there is nothing in hwinfo

Assuming your laptop supports only 3.0.

I wouldn't have any qualms about the 970 Plus, the SN 570, or the 670p.

I have no knowledge of the other one.

You can have an unanticipated and unpredictable terrible experience with any drive.

Hope you don't.

Maybe consider price, return privileges, warranty.

You decide how much credence to give benchmarks, TBW, QLC, MLC, Internet praise, Internet horror stories, random anonymous opinions, and the rest of it.

When combined, that stuff may convince you that there is a "right" answer, rather than a mere opinion.

Reactions: Crashland
I read that the 2TB SP UD90 is supposed to be QLC.
UD90 is TLC w/o DRAM cache

Intel 670p is QLC with 250MB DRAM buffer

The SP is pcie 4 but I don't know if my motherboard supports this standard.
PCIe 4.0 is backward compatible.

Teamgroup costs too much at my place.
We should know your country so we can have meaningful recommendations on price/performance.

Also the notebook among its weaknesses is that of temperatures which tend to rise, so I would like a unit with good temperatures.
The laptop has no dedicated cooling for the SSD. There's a difference between heat energy produced (watts) and temperature (C/F) of a component. You've already requested a low-power SSD recommendation. For example, the UD90 averages around 2.5W and the 670p averages around 3.5W in a 50GB copy.

Last edited:
Reactions: Crashland
May 25, 2023
UD90 is TLC w/o DRAM cache
Yes, but in 2tb version is QLC.
I read it on reddit from some owners.
We should know your country so we can have meaningful recommendations on price/performance.
Italy, the budget is 100-110€ max

The laptop has no dedicated cooling for the SSD. There's a difference between heat energy produced (watts) and temperature (C/F) of a component. You've already requested a low-power SSD recommendation. For example, the UD90 averages around 2.5W and the 670p averages around 3.5W in a 50GB copy.
That's right, I need the low power consumption for battery life.
In tom's review there is no idle consumption graph for the UD90.
In battery mode it will not be used to move large amounts of files.
Read reviews. There's not going to be one singular BEST solution.
If you want to just stick with the 4 drives you mentioned in your OP, read reviews on those 4 and make your decision.
I will consider additional drives

Jul 17, 2023
Warning with the UD90.
There seems to be new parts floating around with the same name. I bought from the Silicon Power store on Amazon.
I was hoping for the same results as thee test on this website. Using the same CrystalDiskMark software I get around 60% of review performance.
So I get almost 4700 MB/s read. But decays to 2860 MB/s quickly due to temp being almost 55'c.
4000 MB/s write, which drops quickly to 1580 MB/s at 55'c.
The temperature come from the SMART data via HWINFO64, yet the SP Toolbox software reads 38'c.

Feeling a little ripped off, but due to the waste of time reinstalling or imaging the system, I have to live with it.
Buyer beware.