[SOLVED] Upgrade 2X GTX970's in SLI.

atmywitsendagain

Prominent
Apr 11, 2020
I have 2 GTX 970 Gigabyte G1 Gaming cards in SLI, I am looking to upgrade these cards to one single card, what would be a good choice
to notice a difference in frame rate ?

Solution
A single GTX970 is noticeably behind even a lower end GTX1650 super anymore. 2 970s may perform better or the same depending on the application, but i think an upgrade to something like a 1660 super or RX5600xt would be a very good option.

If looking to spend more, a 5700xt or 2060 super.
Depends on what game you want improvement, because different games react to SLI differently, in your game you might be getting a 50-60% improvement over single 970, or you might not be getting any improvement at all from SLI, in which case the recommendation would be different as well. Assuming an optimistic 40% scaling of SLI, I'd say the lowest upgrade worth it would be an RTX 2060 or 2060 SUPER. The RTX 2060 is more than 60% faster than a single GTX 970, so it should be a decent upgrade, and I wouldn't suggest going for anything slower than an RTX 2060.

Synthetic fps benchmarks look outstanding with sli, but
I think your gaming experience would improve with a good single card.
dual gpu is prone to screen tearing and stuttering.
Some games will do better with even a single GTX970

I suspect you would be pleased with as little as a GTX1660ti.
You will notice a difference in frame rate so long as your processor is not your limiting factor.

When buying a graphics card, my advice is to buy the strongest card your budget and conscience will allow.
If you buy anything less you will forever be second guessing yourself.

atmywitsendagain

Prominent
Apr 11, 2020
What’s the full pc spec including monitor resolution and Hz? Any particular game or all?
Asus Maximus IX Hero M/B
Intel i7 7700k O/C to 4.6 GHZ
Samsung 500 GB SSD
Corsair HX 1000i PSU
32 GB Corsair Ram
2 X GTX 970's G1 in SLI
Philips 32" Monitor 60Hz refresh rate.
3 x Western Digital 2TB hard drives (for video editing & photography )

Please note when updating the graphics card, I will be updating the monitor to 140hz or more, depending how much I spend on the graphics card. It's use is for all types of games.
Thank you.

A single GTX970 is noticeably behind even a lower end GTX1650 super anymore. 2 970s may perform better or the same depending on the application, but i think an upgrade to something like a 1660 super or RX5600xt would be a very good option.

If looking to spend more, a 5700xt or 2060 super.

Solution
Since I'm not sure you posted a specific budget, I thought I'd share my own recent upgrade from a similar setup to yours.
About 6 months ago I upgraded from two MSI GTX980 Gaming 4G in SLI to a RTX 2070 Super. I did upgrade my CPU at the same time, but the primary increase in gaming performance came from increased GPU performance.

To me personally, the performance increase from the RTX 2070 Super, was well worth the price, even when considering price / performance .
When I fired up the first game using my new RTX 2070 SUper, it felt like the first time I played a demending game with my previous SLI setup, and experienced the performance.

But it is important to add, that my comparison of value is purely based on my own personal preferences with regards to price / performance, not what is generally considered the best options.

I used the card for 1440p 144Hz gaming, and the combination of the resolution, the refreshrate and the RTX 2070 Super seemed to be a perfect macth.

But personal preferences aside, if price and performance is an important thing to factor in with regards to your planned upgrade, other alternatives are probably better when looking purely at numbers.

But after having used dual GPU setups for years, the thing I enjoyed more than anything after my GPU upgrade, was the fact that I had the full performance of my graphics card in all games, and not just the games with SLI support, or games where I had to use software tools to force SLI with all the minor problems associated with that.

I have had a lot of great experiences with multi-GPU setups, and I kept using it despite knowing the downsides of it. But I've finally changed my mind, I'm tired of seeing one card spending more time idling than adding performance in most recent games, and I can't see myself reverting to a multi-GPU setup anytime soon, unless somekind of unforseen change in my hardware requirements occurs or if (unexpectedly) advances in multi-GPU technology become available in the future and makes multi-GPU setups an option which is actually worth it again

I've since replaced the 2070 Super with a 2080 Super, but that was purely due to a lucky coincidence, and not because I ever felt I needed increased performance - to be honest, unless I'm really paying attention, I can hardly tell the difference between the 2070 Super and the 2080 Super when playing most of my games, so the 2070 Super was the better option with regards to the price between the two GPUs.

Last edited:
Reactions: atmywitsendagain

atmywitsendagain

Prominent
Apr 11, 2020
Thanks to everyone that answered my question, and after a lot of thought, I'm going to go for a
RX5700xt strix if I can get hold of one for the right price!
So my next question is , is there a free program out there to clean all the Nvidia drivers off my hard drive
so I can do a clean install of the AMD drivers ?
Thanks.

Thanks to everyone that answered my question, and after a lot of thought, I'm going to go for a
RX5700xt strix if I can get hold of one for the right price!
So my next question is , is there a free program out there to clean all the Nvidia drivers off my hard drive
so I can do a clean install of the AMD drivers ?
Thanks.
Display Driver uninstaller. You boot into safe mode, use DDU to completely wipe all installed graphics drivers, start afresh.

Depends on what game you want improvement, because different games react to SLI differently, in your game you might be getting a 50-60% improvement over single 970, or you might not be getting any improvement at all from SLI, in which case the recommendation would be different as well. Assuming an optimistic 40% scaling of SLI, I'd say the lowest upgrade worth it would be an RTX 2060 or 2060 SUPER. The RTX 2060 is more than 60% faster than a single GTX 970, so it should be a decent upgrade, and I wouldn't suggest going for anything slower than an RTX 2060.
They also only has 3.5GB of VRAM which would be an issue