Upgrade 3570k to 4670k

Jaimie Norman

Honorable
Mar 16, 2013
Hi there. So my brother recently upgraded his PC and left me with an i5 4670k. I am currently running an i5 3570k and my question to you guys is it worth all the time spent reinstalling windows and backing up files for the small upgrade in performance? I game a lot and don't do any sort of video editing. All advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys :)

Solution
The 4670K motherboard would give you a slightly *better* upgrade path, but both are essentially "dead" sockets at this point - with used i7's for either socket viable upgrades from either i5.

Gaming performance difference between a 3570K and a 4670K, when paired with the same GPU, should be near identical. Generational improvements are <10%, nearer 5% in most cases. The 3570K should also be a better overclocker, so should clock higher..... at which point it's the "better" chip.

I don't really see any point in that "upgrade".

You really should though...

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
The 4670K motherboard would give you a slightly *better* upgrade path, but both are essentially "dead" sockets at this point - with used i7's for either socket viable upgrades from either i5.

Gaming performance difference between a 3570K and a 4670K, when paired with the same GPU, should be near identical. Generational improvements are <10%, nearer 5% in most cases. The 3570K should also be a better overclocker, so should clock higher..... at which point it's the "better" chip.

I don't really see any point in that "upgrade".

You really should though. If it were a Sandy to Ivy (both 1155) upgrade, then you'd be fine without.
To go from a 3570K (1155) to Haswell 4670K (1150) though, you're replacing the motherboard - and really should be reinstalling your OS.

Solution

BadAsAl

Distinguished

Ah, didn't look that closely at the specs just looked at benchmarks. Agree with your assessment. Personally If I am not going to get at least 50% higher performance from a new CPU and motherboard then I won't bother with the upgrade.