Question Upgrade 3700x to 5800X3D worth for my specs ?

ippocampo

Reputable
Nov 17, 2018
First of all , good evening,

i already write on the it forum and they suggest me to go and buy it ( and so i did ) . But i feel like the improvement are zero in my case. My current build is
Moba: Msi Mpg X570 Gaming Edge Wifi
Cpu : R7 3700x(yesterday) , R7 5800X3D ( today )
Ram : 2x8 gb 3200 mhz gSkill
Gpu : Asus tuf 3090
Monitor : Samsung odissey G9 49inch 5120x1440 240hz

After i swapped the cpu , i try again the usual games like Warzon2.0 , Diablo 4, Cyberpunk (the last step on graph settings if i remember correctly is like ultra ray tracing) , Diablo 2 Resurrected , ( League of legends doesnt count because it can run on a smartwatch ) . The fps i have in games are the same , so i would like to know if it's worth to keep it or not because i'm still in the "return policy" window. And wait for maybe another 2 years before upgrade maybe everything cpu gpu moba ram etc.. build a literally new pc.

For my understanding on what i read on other forums and internet , the cpu in gaming have a more important role when playing at lower resolution , mine is between 2K and 4K so dont know if i wasted only money by buying the 5800x3d

Best regards :)

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador

i already write on the it forum and they suggest me to go and buy it ( and so i did ) . But i feel like the improvement are zero in my case. My current build is

After i swapped the cpu , i try again the usual games like Warzon2.0 , Diablo 4, Cyberpunk (the last step on graph settings if i remember correctly is like ultra ray tracing) , Diablo 2 Resurrected , ( League of legends doesnt count because it can run on a smartwatch ) . The fps i have in games are the same , so i would like to know if it's worth to keep it or not because i'm still in the "return policy" window. And wait for maybe another 2 years before upgrade maybe everything cpu gpu moba ram etc.. build a literally new pc.

For my understanding on what i read on other forums and internet , the cpu in gaming have a more important role when playing at lower resolution , mine is between 2K and 4K so dont know if i wasted only money by buying the 5800x3d

Running games on ultra at that resolution in most games you were already limited by the video card.

ippocampo

Reputable
Nov 17, 2018
Running games on ultra at that resolution in most games you were already limited by the video card.
That's what i thought , to upgrade my current system i feel like i can only change gpu maybe to a 4080 o 4090 and that would be actually make a huge difference. Probably even with a 3700x on board. Tell me if im wrong

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
That's what i thought , to upgrade my current system i feel like i can only change gpu maybe to a 4080 o 4090 and that would be actually make a huge difference. Probably even with a 3700x on board. Tell me if im wrong
Or you can turn your settings down a bit.
Nothing wrong with the CPU you bought it should last you longer than the 3700x would.

The 5800X3D is a significant upgrade over the 3700X at 240hz assuming there is no GPU bottleneck. It will still likely offer smoother gameplay even at lower frame rates, but the improvement will be less apparent.

Reactions: GarrettL

ippocampo

Reputable
Nov 17, 2018
I dont see so much difference from my 3700x maybe i can try to swap it again and do some benchmark before and after. Because my doubt is if its worth spending 300 euro now to get a minimal improvement ( at least in 2K ) or just wait for 3700x to die and maybe get a dont know I7 15700K in 3 years ? or maybe another ryzen 8000 or 9000 dont know in 3 years what will be available XD

I dont see so much difference from my 3700x maybe i can try to swap it again and do some benchmark before and after. Because my doubt is if its worth spending 300 euro now to get a minimal improvement ( at least in 2K ) or just wait for 3700x to die and maybe get a dont know I7 15700K in 3 years ? or maybe another ryzen 8000 or 9000 dont know in 3 years what will be available XD
Academically speaking if you were to plot a frame time graph you will likely see an improvement in the most demanding titles with the 5800X3D even if your not running at 240hz.

The issue is your running at a very high resolution and the 3700X is still quite a capable CPU. If it was 1080p 240hz you'd definitely see a difference. Warzone 2 I would expect a difference if you are able to lower the graphical settings to boost frame rate.

just wait for 3700x to die
There's a good chance it will still be functioning 10 years from now.

Kona45primo

Honorable
Jan 16, 2021
Eye candy or FPS. Right now the eye candy @ ultra and ray tracing is limiting your fps. Drop the ray tracing and go to high rather than ultra. That will allow you to experience the higher fps. If you still want more eye candy it's time for a 4090..

It's cheaper to get used to high settings and no ray tracing... 240 fps w/ ray tracing & ultra settings doesn't come cheap. It's on you if you want to spend the money to try and get there(you won't in most games with current gpu's)

You still upgraded, but the 3090 is only getting minimal gains because it's already overwhelmed with RT & Ultra settings. You need to drop something to let the gpu work. You just increased the speed limit on the road from 50 to 80 but the truck is still hauling way to much weight for it to get up to speed.

Last edited:

zx128k

Reputable
I would agree but the 5800X3D is really good in games like World of Warcraft. 5800X3D would be better once the 3090 ages and you have to lower the resolution. I'm 100% thinking about a 5800x3d for my old 3800x system.