[SOLVED] Upgrade 64gb from 16 crashing computer

kris_hm

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2014
Hi, I just purchased a 64gb kit of ram for my desktop computer, upgrading from 16gb. My specs are:
I7-8700k
Asus prime z370-p
Gtx 1060 6gb
Windows 10

I was using Corsair vengeance rgb pro 16gb (2x8) @3000MHz and I upgraded to Corsair vengeance rgb pro 64gb (2x32)@3200MHz. Initially I swapped the 16 for the 64, going all in, and immediately I had boot issues. Windows 10 was blue screening before getting to the login page, and had different errors every time. So I pulled the 64 out, tried different slots. I use either slot 1 and 3 or 2 and 4. Made no difference.
I pulled one of the 32 sticks out and then my computer booted, fast as usual, and repeatedly with no issues. I then swapped the sticks to try the other and the same thing happened, I am now booting every time and everything seems to work.
I do not have xmp enabled, I reset the bios to default settings, and I took the cmos battery out also to see if that would make a difference. When using the full 64gb, my computer is not booting. Using only 32, seems fine. Anyone know what I need to do to make this work?
I am currently at work, and have left my computer running with only 32gb in it -and a stopwatch on so when I get home I can see I it ran the entire time. I think it will. I will test the ram later, but I don’t think it’s faulty.
I googled my board and I read it supports up to 64gb of ram also. So I’m unsure of what to do next other than try installing windows 10 to a different drive with the 64gb installed and see if it boots after a clean installation, which I will test later. But if I can keep my OS intact I would prefer to. Any help is appreciated.

Solution
I assume that your set model is CMW64GX4M2E3200C16?

I do not see that set in the board QVL, indeed I see no 32GB sticks from Corsair at 3200MHz that are listed as compatible in sets. All the sets listed for 64GB are 4x16GB.

I would contact Corsair support by email via THIS contact page for resolution, as you may need different settings or possibly a swap for a different set.

RealBeast

Titan

I do not see that set in the board QVL, indeed I see no 32GB sticks from Corsair at 3200MHz that are listed as compatible in sets. All the sets listed for 64GB are 4x16GB.

I would contact Corsair support by email via THIS contact page for resolution, as you may need different settings or possibly a swap for a different set.

Reactions: Juan_Bijero
Solution

kris_hm

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2014

I will post model set when I get home and can look at it again. I’m not sure what it is now. When I was looking for ram I googled my motherboard followed by “memory compatibility” and I could have sworn I saw 2x32gb but i guess the model makes a difference?
Also it seems weird to me that a single stick would work fine but not both even though they’re the exact same.
I will also contact Corsair tomorrow and inquire about it.

Juan_Bijero

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2016
I just returned a new set of 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200 ram because it would not work with previously purchased RAM that was the same model but a different lot #. For RAM to work it needs to be purchased at the same time because the OEMs will change chip manufacturers due to the fluctuation of prices.

RealBeast

Titan
I will post model set when I get home and can look at it again. I’m not sure what it is now. When I was looking for ram I googled my motherboard followed by “memory compatibility” and I could have sworn I saw 2x32gb but i guess the model makes a difference?
Also it seems weird to me that a single stick would work fine but not both even though they’re the exact same.
Yes, the model really seems matters in two specific cases: (1) high density modules, and (2) Ryzen CPU on B450 boards, especially Vengeance brand. But I suggest always checking that either the motherboard or memory maker QVL shows compatibility.

Reactions: kris_hm

kris_hm

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2014
I just returned a new set of 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200 ram because it would not work with previously purchased RAM that was the same model but a different lot #. For RAM to work it needs to be purchased at the same time because the OEMs will change chip manufacturers due to the fluctuation of prices.
Both sticks were in a kit together, not purchased separately. I’m not trying to use the 16gb kit in conjunction with the 64, only the new 64gb kit I bought.

When I was looking for ram I googled my motherboard followed by “memory compatibility” and I could have sworn I saw 2x32gb but i guess the model makes a difference?
Motherboard has 4 ram slots. 64GB max. This means, to get 64GB, you have to use 16GB ram modules.
QVL list doesn't have any 32GB ram modules listed as compatible.

kris_hm

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2014
@RealBeast you were right about the model number of my ram. That is it exactly. Also my pc has continued to run while i was at work, has been running for 9 hours non stop while using one of the new 32gb modules i bought. That is the only stick of ram i am using currently. I am now testing my pc just to see if it is stable using this one stick. So if the ram isnt compatible with my motherboard, why does this one stick seem to work fine?

Last edited:

kris_hm

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2014
My bios was already at the latest version. So this did not help unfortunately.
I have now after 1 unsuccessful attempt, installed a clean windows 10 to an extra drive I had, and I did it with the full 64gb installed. It seems to be working on the clean installation. I’m worried about stability. It seems fine right now though. Any thoughts on this?
If it crashes some more I won’t be surprised. Do you guys think it will continue working or do you think I should go for compatibility?
If I need to change a part, I’ll probably upgrade my mobo. I believe the asus z390-a is supposed to be compatible with the ram I have now.
I am considering changing the board because I got the ram off Mercari and it was a deal @ 200 bucks. I can get a used z390 for ~130. Any board recommendations?

kris_hm

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2014
So after using my computer for a few hours, updating it and installing software and new drivers, the system is not stable with the full 64gb. It was working fine on a regular hdd, until i installed the driver for my gpu, then it began having issues booting. Anyway, i have a 1TB m.2 drive on my board, so i want to use that anyway, so i tried installing a new os to my ssd and it doesnt boot at all after installation. I tried a couple times but it gives me some error, couldnt make windows bootable or something like that after the installation completes, and it says none of the installation will be saved. This kit just isnt going to work with my board i guess. But it does seem to be fine running just a single 32gb stick from this kit. I just successfully installed windows to the m.2 ssd, and its running great off just one stick. I think im going to keep the ram, and for now im going to use only 32gb, which is double what i had initially anyway so its still an improvement. And in the meantime ill be looking for a compatible board i can get. I appreciate the assistance. I would have never figured out my ram was incompatible with my board without yal.