[SOLVED] Upgrade 6yo pc for gaming <$600 feasible?

Etta79

Honorable
Jan 14, 2014
Approximate Purchase Date: ASAP =)
Budget Range: $600 or less (less is better!)
System Usage from Most to Least Important: Casual gamer. I will mostly be playing LOTRO, ESO, GW2, The Witcher and similar games. My main goal is to be able to play these games on max settings as one of the biggest draws for me is exploring the beautiful landscapes while questing with online friends.
Are you buying a monitor: No
Parts to Upgrade: Hoping to upgrade CPU & cooler, mobo, GPU and larger SSD. Also, I believe I'll need to upgrade to compatible RAM.
Do you need to buy OS: Not sure.... I have legit Windows 7 Home Premium. I am unsure if I can still upgrade to Windows 10 or if I need to buy it.
Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Likely, Newegg.com and Amazon.com. I'm open to other options if necessary, though.
Parts Preferences:
I really have no preference, as long as I can play my games, listen to Spotify and browse the web!
Overclocking: No preference
Your Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080

Include a list of any parts you have already selected with descriptively labeled links for parts.
Here's my PC PArts list with what I currently have in my system.
PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4 GHz Quad-Core Processor (Purchased For $239.99)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler (Purchased For $39.99)
Motherboard: Asus Z87-Pro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard (Purchased For $194.99)
Memory: G.Skill Sniper Series 8 GB (2 x 4 GB) DDR3-1866 Memory (Purchased For $84.99)
Memory: G.Skill Sniper Series 8 GB (2 x 4 GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($57.33 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 120 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (Purchased For $80.99)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (Purchased For $64.99)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (Purchased For $59.99)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 770 2 GB Superclocked ACX Video Card (Purchased For $380.94)
Case: Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case (Purchased For $99.99)
Power Supply: Corsair Enthusiast 650 W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply (Purchased For $99.99)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer (Purchased For $19.99)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 OEM 64-bit (Purchased For $99.99)
Monitor: Asus VE248H 24.0" 1920x1080 Monitor (Purchased For $170.11)
Keyboard: Razer DeathStalker Wired Gaming Keyboard (Purchased For $0.00)
Mouse: Razer Razer Naga 2014 Wired Laser Mouse (Purchased For $0.00)
Headphones: SteelSeries Siberia v2 Headset (Purchased For $75.00)
Custom: Rosewill RTK-045 45 Piece Premium Computer Tool Kit (Purchased For $21.72)
Custom: Rocketfish153 12Outlet Surge Protector (Purchased For $39.99)
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-05-16 12:20 EDT-0400

As I indicated in this wall of text, I would like to keep my case, the power supply (if it's adequate?), my keyboard, mouse and monitor. I'll also keep the storage but would like to add a larger SSD to house the OS (which is currently on the SSD) and a few games (all of which currently reside on the WD HD).

Additional Comments: I don't really care about having the latest and greatest, I just care about being able to hop on my PC and have a good time in mygame after a long day at work. I built my current PC as a complete newbie just over 6 years ago with the help of this forum and it has served me well. I figured I couldn't go wrong coming back to ask for help =)

And Most Importantly, Why Are You Upgrading: Well. I've been thinking of upgrading for awhile now and since my graphics card is not working properly the past 2 weeks and my pc has just been laggy and had a few blue screens over the past year, I've decided it's perhaps a good time to do so. As to the error - it has a code 43 error in device manager and I have tried numerous troubleshooting guides to fix it (uninstalling/reinstalling, drivers, reformatting, reseating, moving to different slot, etc.) with no luck. I'm unable to install the latest driver for my GPU as it just goes into a never ending loop of restarting and reinstalling. So, none of my games will work grumble
Also, I would like to upgrade to Windows 10 as my beloved Windows 7 no longer has support. I thought perhaps I could get by on the integrated graphics to play my games for now but I also cannot get that to work. Though, I'm still a clueless newbie so perhaps it's my own inability to problem solve the issue shrug.

In general, I think, perhaps, my parts are tired and just need upgraded for modern gaming... Or, maybe I'm just an idiot and there is something else I can do to troubleshoot. I don't know anyone who knows anything about PCs and I'm not sure if it would be worth it to take in somewhere to get looked at, since it is older. Or, maybe i should just buy one of these cheap $600 Cyberpower PCs I see around.. though I'd hate to waste my current case, etc.

I'm on a tight budget these days! So, any advice is appreciated! Thanks for reading, if you made it this far =)

Last edited:
Solution
4 cores is not really enough for most modern games unfortunately, my advice would actually be to keep your current build for a few months, save up and buy something on the new intel or amd platform at the end of the year, you are not going to get a great deal right now due to covid and the new parts coming out at the end of the year are going to make buying old and second hand parts so much cheaper, your current build will work fine until then

If you want to upgrade the gpu buy an old rx 580 or something like that for now, there is no graphics card right now that is worth buying this close to the new releases

Mickieg1994

Reputable
Jul 15, 2019
4 cores is not really enough for most modern games unfortunately, my advice would actually be to keep your current build for a few months, save up and buy something on the new intel or amd platform at the end of the year, you are not going to get a great deal right now due to covid and the new parts coming out at the end of the year are going to make buying old and second hand parts so much cheaper, your current build will work fine until then

If you want to upgrade the gpu buy an old rx 580 or something like that for now, there is no graphics card right now that is worth buying this close to the new releases

Solution

kwikgta

Honorable
Feb 27, 2016

Agreed. He could update the ssd and graphics card for now and then carry those parts over when he upgrades the rest of the platform.