[SOLVED] Upgrade 8 Year old Laptop

May 9, 2019
Hello,
I have an 8 year old laptop (Asus G74SX).I was looking around other forums seeing what other people have upgraded on this type of laptop, but the only thing I found was that everyone was just upgrading the RAM from 8 to 16 and the hard drive to an SSD. Any advice would be greatly appreciated, since this will be a learning experience by opening up the laptop and changing out parts.

ASUS G74SX - BBK8
Intel i7-2670QM CPU @ 2.20GHz (2nd GEN)
RAM - 8GB
1TB - 7200RPM
Nvidia Geforce GTX 560M - 2GB
https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E16834230352

Solution
That is ALL you CAN upgrade, there is nothing else you can do to upgrade that system. You already have the top CPU for that platform, and it's likely not replaceable anyhow. Maybe, but most of those were soldered BGA assemblies. That might not have been, but there is nothing faster really anyhow that would be compatible or have BIOS support, so CPU is as good as it gets.

Graphics card won't be replaceable and if it was, it wouldn't be supported by the BIOS anyhow. So basically, RAM and SSD are the only possible upgrades although doing a clean install of the operating system, preferably with Windows 10, goes a long way towards making the system "feel" like it's new again anyhow.
That is ALL you CAN upgrade, there is nothing else you can do to upgrade that system. You already have the top CPU for that platform, and it's likely not replaceable anyhow. Maybe, but most of those were soldered BGA assemblies. That might not have been, but there is nothing faster really anyhow that would be compatible or have BIOS support, so CPU is as good as it gets.

Graphics card won't be replaceable and if it was, it wouldn't be supported by the BIOS anyhow. So basically, RAM and SSD are the only possible upgrades although doing a clean install of the operating system, preferably with Windows 10, goes a long way towards making the system "feel" like it's new again anyhow.

Solution