[SOLVED] Upgrade a GeForce GTX 1070 Founders Edition?

Aug 11, 2020
I've recently upgraded to...
  • ASUS Rog Strix B550-F Gaming WIFI
  • AMD Ryzen 5 3600
  • G.Skill Trident Neo 32GB 3600mhz CL18
  • Thermaltake Toughpower GF1 750W
  • Along with a liquid cooler, M.2 & SATA SSD's.
I kept my GeForce GTX 1070 Founders Edition graphics card. It's been a fantastic card. The cost of the other upgrades compels me to wait a while before I consider upgrading the graphics card. But I'm wondering if there's a need. I only have a standard 60hz monitor; I'm only gaming at 1080p and there's no compelling reason (yet) to move up to 1440p or 4k. I wouldn't want to upgrade unless there was at least a 30% performance bump; doesn't seem worthwhile otherwise. My budget would be under $400.

What do you think? I don't upgrade often, so I'm interested in your opinions. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Solution
Cards are made to run it dont hurt them, heat kills. The card should throttle down with to high of a temp.

I don't upgrade till my parts no longer give the performance I need.
I've recently upgraded to...
  • ASUS Rog Strix B550-F Gaming WIFI
  • AMD Ryzen 5 3600
  • G.Skill Trident Neo 32GB 3600mhz CL18
  • Thermaltake Toughpower GF1 750W
  • Along with a liquid cooler, M.2 & SATA SSD's.
I kept my GeForce GTX 1070 Founders Edition graphics card. It's been a fantastic card. The cost of the other upgrades compels me to wait a while before I consider upgrading the graphics card. But I'm wondering if there's a need. I only have a standard 60hz monitor; I'm only gaming at 1080p and there's no compelling reason (yet) to move up to 1440p or 4k. I wouldn't want to upgrade unless there was at least a 30% performance bump; doesn't seem worthwhile otherwise. My budget would be under $400.

What do you think? I don't upgrade often, so I'm interested in your opinions. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks!

You would know if there was a need to upgrade, do the games you play run too slow for you? If yes, then yes, if no then no. It's not really an opinion thing. Now if you were asking if you should have the Coke or the Mountain Dew or even between two flavors of Mountain Dew, or a cookie or a muffin, those are opinions. Tech is a bit more straight forward, you can measure things in numbers.

Aug 11, 2020
You would know if there was a need to upgrade, do the games you play run too slow for you? If yes, then yes, if no then no. It's not really an opinion thing. Now if you were asking if you should have the Coke or the Mountain Dew or even between two flavors of Mountain Dew, or a cookie or a muffin, those are opinions. Tech is a bit more straight forward, you can measure things in numbers.

For example, I was playing Generation Zero last night, I was getting around 130fps on average I think, my GPU was running at 99% at 80 degrees. That seems a little hot to me, so I'm going to look at my cooling again. But I was happy with the performance. I popped on my FPS limiter and dialed it down to 60fps, and naturally, my processing dropped to around 40% and the temps came down. I saw similar activity playing World of Tanks with my son, FPS up to 140-150 running at 99%, then upon limiting the FPS saw it drop.

Do I FEEL that I'm losing performance? Not really, but I don't want the card to work that hard and reduce its life expectancy either. I did this upgrade so I could do 1080p gaming at max settings. I was hoping I wouldn't have to upgrade the card, but now I'm second-guessing myself.