[SOLVED] Upgrade a GTX 1060 3G to a 5700/XT or wait for Ampere and/or RDNA2?

uxcioss

Prominent
Jan 29, 2019
Well, when I did similar inquaries there were lots of topics about "Is waiting for Ampere worth it?", "Should you wait for next gen GPUs?", "Will RDNA2 deliver?". But most of them were outdated since most events cancelled or delayed because of the pandemic. Both Ampere and RDNA2 coming in the end of this year -hopefully-. I saw many people waiting for Ampere so much so that we can say there is a hype about it. Some people call it Pascal 2.0 like it's a bigger jump this time. I wish and hope these rumors and hypes are come true with next gen.

This will be a long topic, kinda my habit to type a lot, probably there won't be a useful tl;dr so feel free to leave if you bored by my mumbling.

My situation as a matter of fact is the same but just a twist with my country's influation and economic crisis happening. Before we start, let's get to my specs:
CPU: Ryzen 5 3600
Mobo: MSI B450 Tomahawk
RAM: G.Skill RipjawsV 2x8 GB 3000Mhz (@3200Mhz)
GPU: ASUS Dual GTX 1060 O3G
SSD: Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB
HDD: WD Blue 2.5 1 TB 5400 RPM
Display: MSI Optix MAG241C 1080p144hz (w/GSync compatible)
Case: Thermaltake V200 TG
PSU: Thermaltake 600W 80+

Long story short, I like my setup but I guess it's getting a little bit old now. It's pretty much enough for me when gaming over all but with recent titles I got the need for adjusting some graphics details etc. to gain more frames. Sometimes, especially for multiplayer games, I was aiming for +90 frames so I needed to lower a lot of settings. 3 GB VRAM didn't bother me most of the time but nowadays I have to choose low or mediocre texture quality because of VRAM. Some games are harsh about this and some don't. (I'm talking about you GR Breakpoint, you make stutter heaven if I set texture quality to medium).

I was hoping to upgrade my GPU but Turing was a lackluster and Navi was scary at launch, even months after launch. There is a bigger problem for me and that is my country is in trouble big time. Local currency losing value againts USD so fast that we got two times poorer in just 3 years. And it seems that it can only go worse from this point.

So the reason I'm starting this topic, there is a Sapphire Pulse RX 5700 XT on sale but I'm not so sure if I should just buy it and wait for next gen GPUs' entry-mid level card releasing and getting a deal on there OR just stick with 1060 3G for about 6 to 10 months and hopefully use money on Ampere or Big Navi's relevant choices. Also, I was hoping to gift the 1060 to my sister since she is using a Ryzen 3 2200G with Vega 8 APU.

For the sake of giving an insight to the local market, I'll share a couple for AIB brands and models with USD converted price. For the beginning, these three are good deals in my opinion:
Sapphire Pulse RX 5700 - $427
Sapphire Pulse RX 5700 XT - $522
Gigabyte RX 5700 XT Gaming OC - $539

These are the comparing brands/models with prices:
MSI RX 5700 MECH GP OC - $441
MSI RX 5700 XT MECH OC - $544
MSI RX 5700 GAMING X - $493
ASUS ROG Strix RX 5700 OC - $627
ASUS ROG Strix RX 5700 XT OC - $682

And Nvidia counterparts:
Gigabyte RTX 2060 OC - $441
Gigabyte RTX 2060 Super Windforce - $589
MSI RTX 2060 Ventus XS OC - $463
MSI RTX 2060 Super Ventus GP OC - $578
ASUS ROG Strix RTX 2060 OC - $633
ASUS ROG Strix RTX 2060 Super EVO - $728
EVGA RTX 2060 Super XC Ultra - $655

I guess that's enough 2060 and 2060S, some 2070 and 2070S cards here:
MSI RTX 2070 TRI FROZR - $665
Gigabyte RTX 2070 Super Wİndforce - $700
ASUS ROG Strix RTX 2070 OC - $793
ASUS ROG Strix RTX 2070 Super - $839
Gigabyte AORUS RTX 2070 Super - $796
MSI RTX 2070 Super Gaming X Trio - $848

Yes. Those are some reeeeally high priced cards there. Some people from EU or other countries can understand this pain I guess. The ones I consider deal are sometimes half of those expensive ones and I think this is why they are not only deal but steal. Currency is getting potato every month, government passes new taxes every 2 months and my desire for 'moar' performance is getting wild.

At this point, what would you guys and gals think about this. Would it be a waste paying money to a 5700XT? Or even a 5700 since there are vbios flash tricks etc. Sapphire Pulse AIBs are wonderful overall. Definitely making up their prices but could it be a waste Ampere and RDNA2 coming this year? In the other hand, first launches will be the most expensive ones. I'm currently happy with 1080p144hz and in the far future I may get a 1440p144hz, or maybe even a 21:9 format display. Anything above from RX 5700 is fine performance wise. Both Nvidia and AMD will probably scale new generation with these cards. But what if they deliver better GPUs for 400-ish USD price range? Since I am using a GTX 1060, it's not like I need a powerhouse GPU right now.

And with this people, I'm confused and indecisive. Maybe there is a side of me enjoying this tech debate myself, who knows. Again, I tend to post long topics, hopefully I didn't miss any fatal points I hope to express.

Edit: Forgot to add case and PSU.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS