[SOLVED] upgrade a Q9500 to Q9650?

Tac 25

Estimable
Jul 25, 2021
Hi, my backup pc (on sig) has been using a Q9500 for several months now. It was originally an e8400 which I upgraded to the q9500. So far, the upgrade was successful, no black screen, no bsod, I mean it's all cool.. nothing went wrong, and the pc became faster. It is now able to handle a game like KOF XIV.

now my question is.. does a Q9650 have a significant advantage over a Q9500? I was thinking that a Q9650 might add a bit more strength to this old system.
this pc is not going to be used for playing the more graphically demanding games, my budget gaming pc (on sig) is the one who handles that. I just want to improve the backup pc a bit more with the q9650.

Last edited:
Solution
Hey there,

The short answer is no, it doesn't have a significant advantage over the Q9500.

They are both on the same FSB (1333mhz - FSB is front side bus), and although slightly faster by a few mhz, there will be very little if any perceivable boost in performance. Definitely not worth even an exchange on the CPU's never mind picking up a Q9650 on the cheap.

What might help more than a CPU side-grade, is seeing if you can get another stick of ram in there. That may be more beneficial for you.
Hey there,

The short answer is no, it doesn't have a significant advantage over the Q9500.

They are both on the same FSB (1333mhz - FSB is front side bus), and although slightly faster by a few mhz, there will be very little if any perceivable boost in performance. Definitely not worth even an exchange on the CPU's never mind picking up a Q9650 on the cheap.

What might help more than a CPU side-grade, is seeing if you can get another stick of ram in there. That may be more beneficial for you.

Reactions: LeviTech and Tac 25
Solution

TRENDING THREADS