[SOLVED] Upgrade advice and second opinion

veltoc

Commendable
Jun 8, 2017
I Built my first gaming PC 2 years ago with a budget of $800. The market wasn't so great at the time but i got a good build for the cost at the time. Time passed and i wanted more power, so i doubled the ram, got a 2070, and a better PSU, along with peripheral upgrades and such over time. (upgraded link) I had been waiting for Ryzen 3rd gen to come out to upgrade my CPU. And now that its out and my work is requiring it more then ever im about to pull the trigger on upgrading the rest of the computer, and while i have a good amount of experience and research, its always good to get others opinions and help.. and i have a few questions, some that are just your opinion.

1) Any suggested changes to this build, It will be used for primarily gaming and streaming. However occasionally I have to make and render houses, with environments. I would not only like to speed that up but also have it not kill my computer when it does so.

2) Motherboards
My first choice of motherboards was a Asus x470 pro... it matched the colors I was going for nicely and overall I liked it. However I don't feel like mounting my current CPU just to update it so I went with the one on the list... Any other suggestions for under $200? I do quite like the 10 USB ports on the motherboard, it will be well used as that's a current issue.

3) Network adapter issues
As of recently my network adapter has begun to have issues where every now and then the wifi connection with lose internet. (Ethernet isn't set up yet and could be awhile until it is). It will remain connected but show the little warning sign. The issue comes in where if I disconnect in any way (turning wifi off, adapter off, or straight up disconnecting from the that network) then i wont be able to reconnect, and from my experience to any of the available networks. What happens when I try is (windows 10) the window will close, and the icon will change to look as if the adapter was disabled, then after a second come back and say it couldn't connect. No amount of trouble shooting using windows troubleshooter or my own methods has been able to fix it. Only way to get it to connect again is to restart the computer. If no one knows about this I will ask later on in Networking. Currently going to see if getting a booster will help that issue as signal strength at my computer is poor anyway and my phone can't even connect (love this adapter). but if anyone knows what the cause is then it would be helpful. I love my adapter and its not sold much anymore.. and I fear it may be an issue with the adapter. Incase you guys suggest it, I have reseated the card 2 times now. The second being before typing this as the day before it broke over 7 times.

3.b) If it is a hardware issue with my network card then what is some good or better network cards I can get while im grabbing parts for this upgrade

4)Ram
Honestly, just doubling my ram will end up really helping with renders.. but this upgrade was planned before I notice that so screw it were doing it all. My only worry is... What if 32gb isn't enough... im buying 4(1x8) strips and if it isn't enough I have to basically kiss some of those and the money away. Anyone with 3d rendering experience know what I should aim for? moving from 16gb to 32gb.. the 32 (since im going rgb bc I can) will be ~$200.. but I can get 32 using the same model of ram for $175 using 2 1x16gb strips.. meaning if 32 isn't enough it wont be a throw away to double and would actually save a bit from the start (not to worried about saving $25). And I would go this way except for 2 reasons. 1) I really like the look of having all 4 in, especially if they are going to be glowing. 2) if 32gb is enough then its better to spread it out so there isn't a bottleneck on how quickly it can fill and empty that 32gb. So just to repeat, is 32gb enough and which option should I go with?

5) What to do with the old pc?
At the end of this I will have 2 full computers, my old being all the original parts (Ryzen 5 1600, gtx 1060 3gb, 16gb ram) and the new (Ryzen 7 3700x, RTX 2070, 32gb ram, and SSD boot drive (restarted to much this week to not want one, and not on the budget anymore)). The Original plan was to set the computer up either for my parents to use as it will still kill their old mac and they are always complaining about it but never want to switch. However I will be missing all peripherals… I could likely get some old crappy stuff together that we have laying around but that's not a great... So im now debating either getting some decent but cheaper keyboard and mouse along with a decent monitor (or getting a nicer one for my main and sending my good one with this) and then setting it up, but that's more money and idk how much they will even use it based on their cult following for Apple. So other options are just selling the full build, or hanging onto it for if anything goes wrong. Or 3rd I could get a KVM switch and put the computer on the floor at my desk, and use it either as a swarm to speed up rendering, or a computer to use while the main chugs away rendering, in which case I wouldn't need anything more than the switch extra... but its use would be... limited... So one of my questions is.. what should I do with this? What do people use dual systems for? Where could I use a mildly used mid tier gaming pc in the house?

Note: it would defeat the purpose of much of the reason to get a new case (I kind of just want to take my psu and gpu and leave it) but I could run a dual system in the new case (Phanteks Evolv X)

Thanks in advance for not only reading through this long mess but any help you guys provide. Much appreciated and it's one of the reasons the PC building community is so great.

Solution
Your motherboard is good (I have it too) but if you want to save money you can get the 170 dollar aorus board.
Why do you have a 240gb and 500gb ssd in the list?

veltoc

Commendable
Jun 8, 2017
Your motherboard is good (I have it too) but if you want to save money you can get the 170 dollar aorus board.
Why do you have a 240gb and 500gb ssd in the list?
Currently have the 240 as a bonus drive for things I need ran faster. im getting the 500 as slightly faster and a larger (by want) boot drive. currently using a 1tb hdd for my boot.

I see.
As for a networking card, I have the ASUS AC750 Pce-ac51 which is a nice cheap card.
It sits a little loose, but it serves its purpose, supporting 5 GHz.
I don't know how much ram rendering would take, so I cant really help you there.
As for the old pc, I dont see a reason for 2 systems, so I would sell it and get some money off of it.

veltoc

Commendable
Jun 8, 2017
I see.
As for a networking card, I have the ASUS AC750 Pce-ac51 which is a nice cheap card.
It sits a little loose, but it serves its purpose, supporting 5 GHz.
I don't know how much ram rendering would take, so I cant really help you there.
As for the old pc, I dont see a reason for 2 systems, so I would sell it and get some money off of it.
Do you know how well it works at picking up signal? as I said it poor for now.. which may change.. hopefully

Sorry for the late notice but I would like to correct myself from earlier. Please do not get the 170 dollar aorus board. The elite is probably the lowest priced board I can recommend as a mid tier. If you want to go cheaper, get a b450 or x470 board and flash its bios.