Upgrade Advice (Mainly CPU)

Solution
go with 1150. for your needs, probably a core i7-4790k if you want to stick with i7. an i5-4690k will also probably work just as well for gaming while saving you a bit of money.

In all honesty, I went from an i7-860 to an i7-4770k earlier this year and I don't really notice much difference. The real difference came from adding an SSD.

bliq

Distinguished
go with 1150. for your needs, probably a core i7-4790k if you want to stick with i7. an i5-4690k will also probably work just as well for gaming while saving you a bit of money.

In all honesty, I went from an i7-860 to an i7-4770k earlier this year and I don't really notice much difference. The real difference came from adding an SSD.

Solution

ButtChew

Reputable
Oct 8, 2014

That was another concern of mine, as I feel like my processor really isn't bottle-necking anything, at least for gaming. The problem is mainly my motherboard though, which Im pretty sure only runs PCI-e 4x.

bliq

Distinguished
really? what motherboard is it? it seems unlikely to have just an x4 slot and no x16. I've only heard of one board like that but it was an ancient 775 board that allowed you to use PCI-E or AGP. but I guess it's possible. one other thing is that even today's fastest GPUs are apparently not saturating 8x. So if it is only an x8 slot, you might not be bottlenecked by that either.

ButtChew

Reputable
Oct 8, 2014

Newegg link to mobo:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128406

It has a PCI-E x16 slot, but it says it runs at x4 (PCIEX x4)

bliq

Distinguished

Actually, looking at the specs, there are two x16 slots for crossfire. One is full x16 and the other is x4. So I think you have no worries. Just use the upper slot.

TRENDING THREADS