[SOLVED] Upgrade Advice - New Builder - go easy on me.

Nov 14, 2019
Current system stuck together 7-8 years ago......from friends old parts:

I7 960
GTX 460
8gb ddr3 ram
x58 ftw3 mobo
Corsair Carbide 200R case

New Questions -
In looking up the components i have....most are 9-10 years old. Failed power supply and so so gaming performance has me thinking of upgrading.
  1. Am i right in assuming i should upgrade components? Going to start editing some 4k video of my kids sporting events, i'd really like to try flight sim 2020 sometime (liked the old ones)
  2. I'm new to all of this but have been doing some reading. Trying different calculators to avoid bottle necking with components i'm not familiar with. I'd love to use the same case, (Corsair carbide 200R) which may or may not work. I also understand i may want to upgrade everything else. I'm also interested in a new 27 monitor. I'm red green colorblind, so sharpness and motion are more important than perfect color recreation. would like something that 4k video and games looks nice on. (less $ the better though)
Budget (not including monitor should be under 1200......budget including monitor under 1500.
Any help is welcomed.
Thank you all in advance.
Matt

Last edited:
Solution
Also since your editing I put in a better CPU & better motherboard (better vrms). The cooler that comes with the 3700X is pretty good, I'd try it out first before considering a aftermarket cooler.

PCPartPicker Part List
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor ($326.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX ATX AM4 Motherboard ($114.99 @ B&H)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($124.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Intel 660p Series 1.02 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($97.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: MSI Radeon RX 5700 XT 8 GB MECH OC Video Card ($389.99 @ B&H)
Case: Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case...

WildCard999

Titan
The only part I'd reuse would be the Case which is fine since you have a good budget.

Don't bother with those "bottleneck" calculator sites, they're garbage and most don't account for the game nor resolution.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/3VnZf9

Disregard the error message, that motherboard ships with a BIOS version that supports the 3600.
https://asrock.com/MB/AMD/B450Mac/index.asp#CPU

If you don't want a 21:9 monitor and prefer 16:9 then I'd get this...

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/wNwjCb

Last edited:
Nov 14, 2019
Thank you so much for the quick reply. I've been trying to read up on the AMD stuff. Seems like 'good for games' and 'great for other (threading) jobs' is the consensus. That monitor may be overkill....but love the look of it.

Current system stuck together 7-8 years ago......from friends old parts:

I7 960
GTX 460
8gb ddr3 ram
x59 ftw3 mobo
Corsair Carbide 200R case

New Questions -
In looking up the components i have....most are 9-10 years old. Failed power supply and so so gaming performance has me thinking of upgrading.
  1. Am i right in assuming i should upgrade components? Going to start editing some 4k video of my kids sporting events, i'd really like to try flight sim 2020 sometime (liked the old ones)
  2. I'm new to all of this but have been doing some reading. Trying different calculators to avoid bottle necking with components i'm not familiar with. I'd love to use the same case, (Corsair carbide 200R) which may or may not work. I also understand i may want to upgrade everything else. I'm also interested in a new 27 monitor. I'm red green colorblind, so sharpness and motion are more important than perfect color recreation. would like something that 4k video and games looks nice on. (less $ the better though)
Budget (not including monitor should be under 1200......budget including monitor under 1500.
Any help is welcomed.
Thank you all in advance.
Matt
PCPartPicker Part List

CPU Cooler: Scythe Mugen 5 Rev. B 51.17 CFM CPU Cooler ($48.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Asus TUF GAMING X570-PLUS ATX AM4 Motherboard ($164.99 @ B&H)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 Memory ($74.98 @ Amazon)
Storage: Crucial P1 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($95.99 @ B&H)
Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon RX 5700 XT 8 GB GAMING OC Video Card ($398.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: Corsair RM (2019) 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($94.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $1205.92
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-11-14 15:27 EST-0500

WildCard999

Titan
Thank you so much for the quick reply. I've been trying to read up on the AMD stuff. Seems like 'good for games' and 'great for other (threading) jobs' is the consensus. That monitor may be overkill....but love the look of it.
Yea the 34" 21:9 are quite large but they give good gaming immersion. As for AMD they've really done well with the Ryzen CPU's and the 3rd gen games really well compared to Intel for a lower price. Realistically you could probably use the stock cooler and be fine however the CPU cooler I put into it is really quiet and would be plenty of cooling for that 3600.

Nov 14, 2019
Since both recommended the same GPU but different brands......why did you recommend the one you did? reliability? brand loyalty?

Also.....when I built the last setup.....M2 memory wasn't a thing. What do i need to know about that? I know some mobo's have multiple slots, etc.

Since both recommended the same GPU but different brands......why did you recommend the one you did? reliability? brand loyalty?

Also.....when I built the last setup.....M2 memory wasn't a thing. What do i need to know about that? I know some mobo's have multiple slots, etc.
The MSI higher end more expensive models are very good but I think Gigabyte is better for more reasonably priced cards.

I don't have an M2 drive myself but all new motherboards have at least one slot for them now. Saves on cable mess and they are a little faster(not much in real world)

WildCard999

Titan
Either is fine as long as there not using that reference blower style cooler as it's really not sufficient for the 5700 XT.

M.2 is great for cable management as it connects directly to the motherboard however they can also support faster speeds over SATA SSD's thus M.2 NVMe are preferred nowadays for there price to performance.

Nov 14, 2019
Thanks for the info on m.2 . I guess i'll just wait to see what mobo i go with and go from there.

Next thing driving me crazy is monitor. I guess it's similar to tv research. I can look and look at specs and know what is supposed to be the ideal monitor on paper, but there's always a chance i see something else in person and like it better. The 34" looks great but seems so wide.....would look weird on the desk. (i'm picturing my daughter doing her elementary math homework on this huge wide gaming monitor....it's funny. One of the reasons why i'm trying to avoid RGB stuff. The setup will be in a more public part of the house so i'm not liking the thought of crazy flashing lights at all times. the more discreet the better. system wide.

Nov 14, 2019
I did look at that. I had a 27"imac so i wouldn't want to go smaller than that so i'll keep looking. Seems like there are TONS of options for decent 27" monitors under $300.

Another thing to consider. I have a bunch of gift certificates to microcenter. Just collected over the years and got store credit on returns, etc. Would love to see what's possible at JUST microcenter. What complete system could i walk into a microcenter, and walk out with. if it's available online through them i think i can ship to store.
Does that sound correct?

Any other advantages to buying through microcenter. thinking along the lines of returns, warranties, etc.

thanks

WildCard999

Titan
Definitely go to Microcenter if you have a local one. I built my friends system with parts just from there and saved quite a bit of money as they usually have lower prices in store and the stuff that's cheaper online they'll match with Newegg, Amazon and a I think a few others. The employees there are fairly knowledgeable however just beware that they are commission based so there going to try to sell you something that may be more then you need. I just don't go there too often as it's 90 mins each way so I try to make it a worthwhile trip (gas/tolls).

Nov 14, 2019
I'd love to go in with an order already having been pulled from stock, or sent to their store from another store or the online store. Then there is no upselling. I'd rather pull from the knowledge of thousands on forums like this one than relying on one guy that worked that saturday.
I didn't know that about pricematching so that's good to know.
I did notice that sometimes they'll carry the 5700xt online.....but not the particular brand that somebody recommended. (ex. i don't think they had the MSI 5700xt.....but had other brands)
Matt

WildCard999

Titan
The RX 5700 XT is a good GPU however if you go for one then get a version with a dual or triple fan setup as the reference blower style runs a bit hot. Also there was initially driver issues, like with any new GPU, that have been getting ironed out on the past few updates so from what I hear the performance is really good now with little to no glitches.

Nov 14, 2019
Another question was RAM. for gaming it appears most recommend 16gb.....specifically putting the sticks in alternating slots. If the rig is also going to be used for rendering video....wouldn't i want as much RAM as possible (meaning 32gb cost wise...) to speed up rendering time? then i wouldn't be able to alternate positions because they'd all be used on the mobo......how does that affect the gaming then.

(seems that every component affects all other components. like a puzzle)

WildCard999

Titan
I don't really do video editing/rendering but yes more memory is ideal and with your budget we could just go with 2x16gb instead of 2x8gb. Two sticks is more effective then 4 for your uses/CPU. That being said even if you had a 2x8gb kit and bought the same exact kit for the other slots there is a small chance it wouldn't work well together and may not even boot up. Memory sticks are sold in kits that have been tested 100% to work perfectly together but other kits may not work well.

WildCard999

Titan
Also since your editing I put in a better CPU & better motherboard (better vrms). The cooler that comes with the 3700X is pretty good, I'd try it out first before considering a aftermarket cooler.

PCPartPicker Part List
Motherboard: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX ATX AM4 Motherboard ($114.99 @ B&H)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($124.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Intel 660p Series 1.02 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($97.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: MSI Radeon RX 5700 XT 8 GB MECH OC Video Card ($389.99 @ B&H)
Case: Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case ($0.00)
Power Supply: SeaSonic FOCUS Plus Gold 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($105.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Monitor: Acer XZ271U bmijpphzx 27.0" 2560x1440 144 Hz Monitor ($249.99 @ Walmart)
Total: $1410.92
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-11-15 11:52 EST-0500

Solution
Nov 14, 2019
Thinking about cooling my Corsair 200R i stumbled on this thread.
what does this mean??
Ideal setup.

2 Top exhaust (pushing air out)
2 Front intake (pulling air in)
1 Bottom , not usually needed. (direction? )
1 Back intake exhaust
(i didn't get this....intake AND exhaust.....)??

WildCard999

Titan
Usually intaking air in the front/bottom (filters for dust) then top/rear is exhaust. It's not typically nessicary to use all the fan spots in a case to keep everything cool. Plus more fans, depending on the model, could increase the sound a bit which could be annoying/distracting.

Nov 14, 2019
As of right now I'm leaning toward a 3700X / 5700xt build....and for no real good reason, the TUF Gaming x570 plus wifi mobo. (open to suggestions on the mobo)

Assuming i go with these three...... What RAM 2x16gb kit do you recommend? what m.2 drive/ drives do you recommend?

(still have no idea on monitor. i'd love to stay under 300 but want as big as possible. I keep reading that 21:9 isn't supported by enough games....issues with stretching, etc. open to any and all suggestions on that too)

WildCard999

Titan
Most games are supported 21:9 or there is a fix online. One big one that isn't is Overwatch but Blizzard did that on purpose and oddly enough Ace Combat 7 isn't supported either but a fix was put out by wsgf although many player are hounding them for 21:9 so hopefully it will be fixed soon. I will say though the games that don't support it aren't stretched, there's two black bars on each side. If you want to stay away from it though then 1440P/144hz/Freesync/IPS or VA is still a good choice.

PCPartPicker Part List
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 Memory ($69.98 @ Amazon)
Total: $167.97
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-11-20 15:01 EST-0500