Question Upgrade Advice, New GPU or New Rig?

May 2, 2019
Hi All,

Looking for some opinions on my upgrade path.

I'm currently running an i74790K @4.8ghz with 16gb of RAM alongside an R9 290X 8GB card with roughly a 20% oc. This rig has been serving me amazingly for the last 5 years or so, comfortably running everything I throw at it, generally running on High or Ultra and keeping above that sweet 60fps marker, but is finally starting to struggle to keep me over that 60fps marker on high in the latest titles. I think half the reason my GPU has been lasting so well is the (for the time anyway) huge 8GB of vram allowing it to load the textured with no problems, so I'm unwilling to drop back down below that threshold for an upgrade. However to get a meaningful upgrade, the current market seems to me like there is not a huge amount of choice without breaking the bank. On NVidia's front it's looking to be 2070 and up, and from the AMD front it's basically the Radeon IIV, as the vega 64 does give me a decent performance boost, but costs the same as a 2070, and gets a thrashing.

I have a reasonable budget, and what I'd like is some opinions or advice. Do I need to bring a brand new rig? Will my 4790k potentially bottleneck a 2070 and up card? What GPU do you recommend? Likely out of the 2070, 2080 or Radeon IIV.

If I do go for a new rig, should I splash the extra on an i7 9700K, or will I realistically not see a bottleneck running a 2700X instead? I'm intending to upgrade to a 1440p monitor with this as well, so that should push the bottleneck closer to the GPU rather than the CPU.

General thoughts, advice and opinions welcome. Just looking for some guidance really.

Fate05

Prominent
May 2, 2019
Hey man. I am currently undergoing a PC build of my own. In my opinion I would do a new rig and wait on the GPU. Your CPU is a bit outdated imo. I would go with the i7 8700, i7 8700k, i7 9700k, i9 9900k or the i5 9600k. Motherboard is totally upto you. If you have an HDD, I would upgrade that to an SSD and RAM is preference I guess. I would recommend a good cooler as well btw as these CPU's can get pre hot if you like to OC ;). 9700k is probs ur best bet.So if I were you I would upgrade my CPU, Motherboard, RAM (If yours is DDR3), SSD, maybe PSU and I would also recommend a good cooler

Last edited:

iMatty

Reputable
Mar 14, 2019
Well, the i7 you have right now is pretty good compared to some AMD cpus right now, its not about bottlenecks to be honest, it'll vary from whatever you will do, some games will be GPU intensive and some games will be CPU intensive and so on.
But if you are willing to go with i7 9700k highly recommended with a 2070, the vega 64 will run pretty hot and 2070 wit a 144HZ refresh rate is pretty sweet, and as Fate said going for a decent cooler is needed because these chips tend to run pretty warm.

Fate05

Prominent
May 2, 2019
Well, the i7 you have right now is pretty good compared to some AMD cpus right now, its not about bottlenecks to be honest, it'll vary from whatever you will do, some games will be GPU intensive and some games will be CPU intensive and so on.
But if you are willing to go with i7 9700k highly recommended with a 2070, the vega 64 will run pretty hot and 2070 wit a 144HZ refresh rate is pretty sweet, and as Fate said going for a decent cooler is needed because these chips tend to run pretty warm.

Amazingly said man. The specs in the PC I am building are :
GPU - Zotac 2080 AMP! Extreme
SSD - Samsung 970 Evo Plus 500GB
CPU - i9 9900k
PSU - Corsair RMX 850w
RAM - Patriot Viper Steel DDR4 16GB Kit 4000mhz
MOBO - Aorus Master or Aorus Ultra
COOLER - NZXT Kraken x72
Total price is about $3k nzd

TRENDING THREADS