[SOLVED] Upgrade advice new GPU

May 30, 2020
Hi,

I want to upgrade my GPU, because lately I run into games that can only be played at low settings and it's barely playable. I've tried to play Need For Speed Heat but it looks <Mod Edit> and plays at the bare minimum in performance.

Currently there is an EVGA gtx 680 gpu in my system and it works nice. It makes no sound at all doing pretty much all the tasks, except of course when I play demanding games. I would prefer a GPU like that: dont hear it at all unless it is running somethinf that demands alot.

I want to play games at High-Ultra at 1080p. Most important for me is that I wil be able to play cyberpunk 2077 and enjoy it. My screen ha a 120hz refresh rate so I want to get value out of that as well.

these are the specs

• Thermaltake level 10 GT
    • Asus Rampage IV Extreme socket 2011 motherboard
    • Intel Core i7 3820 quad core CPU
    • Corsair closed circuit watercooler
    • EVGA Nvidia Geforce GTX680
    • 32gb (8x4gb) Corsair Vengeance 1800 MHz DDR3 memory
    • XFX 850W semi modulair power supply
    • 256gb Samsung 840 SSD
    • 1200gb Western digital caviar green HDD
    • Benq XL2420T 24 inch 3d hd screen
    • Razer Mamba 4g muis
    • Logitech g19 toetsenbord
    • Razer Tiamat 7.1 surround headset
    • Razer Vespula mouse pad
I have enough money to spend. Something like 300 euro will suffice I think? Im not spending money due to the corona lockdown, so I can afford something nice as a GPU.

Not willing to buy/build a complete new system because I want to wait untill 4k gaming becomes much cheaper (screens, gpu etc).

f there is additional information you need, let me know. I dont really know how to monitor my performance (I know I can do it with afterburner or taskmanager but i have never done it).

Thank you guys and girls very much in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:
Solution
The 1660 Super is pretty good, but if you want to play at up to 120 fps (especially games like cyberpunk which should be incredibly demanding) you might want to step up to a 2060. I recently snagged an RTX 2060 KO myself for $300 US, so that might be within your budget.

Nothing wrong with a 1660 super, it's just not going to give you high refresh rates on AAA games unless you turn your in-game graphics settings down to medium or low.

Whatever card you buy, make sure it has zero rpm fan mode or something similar: it's what'll let your card be quiet when you're not using it like you mentioned.

soRa_21

Prominent
Aug 10, 2019
In my opinion 1660 is a very good choice. I would also recommend rx 580 8gb because its affordable, best value for money and rx 590 wich is in the same ballpark as 1660 but a little bit cheaper.

May 30, 2020
In my opinion 1660 is a very good choice. I would also recommend rx 580 8gb because its affordable, best value for money and rx 590 wich is in the same ballpark as 1660 but a little bit cheaper.

thanks for your reply. Im thinking of buying the 1660 S (super).

the only thing im curious about if my system can handle it/my processor is good enough for it?

Last edited:
The 1660 Super is pretty good, but if you want to play at up to 120 fps (especially games like cyberpunk which should be incredibly demanding) you might want to step up to a 2060. I recently snagged an RTX 2060 KO myself for $300 US, so that might be within your budget.

Nothing wrong with a 1660 super, it's just not going to give you high refresh rates on AAA games unless you turn your in-game graphics settings down to medium or low.

Whatever card you buy, make sure it has zero rpm fan mode or something similar: it's what'll let your card be quiet when you're not using it like you mentioned.

Solution