Question Upgrade advice please

Feb 28, 2023
So I have had this system for quite a few years, although it has been neglected over the past 2 or so years as I haven't been as heavily into the PC scene as I used to however I am wanting to get back into it. I was planning on upgrading in some areas, particularly my GPU, and was just looking for some pointers in the GPU department or for any of my other parts. Also not I am not wanting top spec, more of a medium spec can play games comfortably but not with insane graphics etc if that makes sense. My spec is as follows:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X 8 Core
RAM: 16gb DDR4 Corsair
MOBO: X570 Tomahawk Wifi
GPU: Palit GTX 1060 6gb
PSU: 850w

Thanks in advance!

logainofhades

Titan
Which 850w psu? Wattage alone doesn't tell us much, as the quality is even more important. See the link in my sig, on how to ask for upgrade advice, and please come back with the questions answered. Makes it easier for people to help you, without wasting your time asking a bunch of questions.

So I have had this system for quite a few years, although it has been neglected over the past 2 or so years as I haven't been as heavily into the PC scene as I used to however I am wanting to get back into it. I was planning on upgrading in some areas, particularly my GPU, and was just looking for some pointers in the GPU department or for any of my other parts. Also not I am not wanting top spec, more of a medium spec can play games comfortably but not with insane graphics etc if that makes sense. My spec is as follows:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X 8 Core
RAM: 16gb DDR4 Corsair
MOBO: X570 Tomahawk Wifi
GPU: Palit GTX 1060 6gb
PSU: 850w

Thanks in advance!

Where do you live? Do you have a Micro Center near you?

Do you have a budget?

Some games are graphics limited like fast action shooters.
Others are cpu core speed limited like strategy, sims, and mmo.
Multiplayer tends to like many threads.

You need to find out which.
------------------------------------------------------------
To help clarify your CPU/GPU options, run this test:
Run YOUR games, but lower your resolution and eye candy.
This makes the graphics card loaf a bit.
If your FPS increases, it indicates that your cpu is strong enough to drive a better graphics configuration.
If your FPS stays the same, you are likely more cpu limited.

If you upgrade your gpu, make it a significant jump or you may be disappointed if you do not see magical results.
Here is a simple chart of gpu capabilities:
https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gpu-hierarchy,4388.html

I might think 3060 class card for an upgrade.