Upgrade Advice Requested

Eddie87

Distinguished
May 15, 2013
A few years ago I used the help of the great people here on these forums to pick components to build my first PC. I really had no idea what I was doing and I am honestly amazed that I was able to build the thing and get it running at all, but I did. My knowledge on PC components hasn't changed much but I am ready to upgrade it and would like some help deciding what to upgrade/where my money would be best spent. My budget is about $1500 but I can go higher if there are some compelling recommendations for certain components.

My current PC build:
Win 8.1 OS
ASROCK z77 Extreme 4 Mobo
i7 3770k @ 3.5Ghz (stock)
8Gb 1.5V 1600Mhz RAM
GTX 670 FTW LE 2GB VRAM (x2 SLI)
Corsair HX750 PSU
Sandisk 128GB SSD (for OS etc.)
Seagate Barricuda 1TB HDD (games movies etc)

I know for certain I need to upgrade my GPU (Thinking GTX 980) and my SSD and HDD are getting full but would like to hear what people here have to say about what components I should upgrade as I am ignorant as to what the latest and great parts are these days.

Also, would it make sense to keep one of my GTX 670's as a Physx card?

Any advice/help is greatly appreciated.

Solution
I don't see anything worth upgrading here. Unless you have issues with the 670's (e.g. not enough vRAM, SLI issues, ect.), they aren't worth upgrading. The 980 isn't going to be much faster than them.

If you need more hard drive space, just add another drive. If you need more space on the SSD, consider moving programs and files before replacing it.

frag06

Honorable
Mar 17, 2013
I don't see anything worth upgrading here. Unless you have issues with the 670's (e.g. not enough vRAM, SLI issues, ect.), they aren't worth upgrading. The 980 isn't going to be much faster than them.

If you need more hard drive space, just add another drive. If you need more space on the SSD, consider moving programs and files before replacing it.

Solution