[SOLVED] Upgrade Advice: Ryzen 5 2600 x RX570

ken.dogcio

Reputable
May 11, 2019
Hi. I need advice for an upgrade of my Rig. This is my current setup:

Ryzen 5 2600
Asus Prime B450M-A
Avexir Core 2 16gb 2666mhz 2x8
Asrock RX570 Phantom Gaming 4GB (now broken)
Seasonic S12II 520
Asus VG249Q1R

First off, im from the Philippines. So some part that you might suggest may not be available here.

Next, my GPU is now broken. Im kind of satisfied with its perfomance before. I usually play Albion, Valorant, Dota2, LoL and Mobile Games (Emulator). Im satisfied with it but i want to upgrade it a little bit better. Planning to play WoW and or FFXIV.

Lastly, i wanted to upgrade just to somehow be updated with the parts that i have so that i wont upgrade on the next 2-3years or so. I have this rig for almost 3years now.

Thanks in advance!

Solution
Lastly, i wanted to upgrade just to somehow be updated with the parts that i have so that i wont upgrade on the next 2-3years or so. I have this rig for almost 3years now.

Do you have a specific budget?

I would easily recommend Nvidia GT 1660 super for your GPU replacement. GPU prices are sky high right now. Assuming you don't play games at max graphics settings, it should fit the bill.

The thing is though, there's a new set of power standards that will come out next year such as the new PCI-E Gen 5.0 power connection for GPUs and the new Motherboard ATX12V0 standard, which basically means a whole new build. If I were in your shoes, I would just buy a decent GPU that can hold you until 1-2 years until these newer...

I would easily recommend Nvidia GT 1660 super for your GPU replacement. GPU prices are sky high right now. Assuming you don't play games at max graphics settings, it should fit the bill.

The thing is though, there's a new set of power standards that will come out next year such as the new PCI-E Gen 5.0 power connection for GPUs and the new Motherboard ATX12V0 standard, which basically means a whole new build. If I were in your shoes, I would just buy a decent GPU that can hold you until 1-2 years until these newer components are released and drop in price. The release of DDR5 memory is also in the horizon and usually when a new iteration of RAM is released, it usually has an expensive price at launch and takes years to drop its price off.

There's also Intel's upcoming 12th gen Alder Lake CPUs to consider as well.

My upgrade cycle is every 5 years. It can be up to you to follow it, but you're in the cusp of newer technologies and standards and it might be worth the wait to just hold out a bit more. I upgraded at the start of this year so I'll be willing to skip a generation or two of new hardware releases before I upgrade.

Solution

logainofhades

Titan

Ryzen 5 2600
Asus Prime B450M-A
Seasonic S12II 520
Asus VG249Q1R

First off, im from the Philippines. So some part that you might suggest may not be available here.

Next, my GPU is now broken. Im kind of satisfied with its perfomance before. I usually play Albion, Valorant, Dota2, LoL and Mobile Games (Emulator). Im satisfied with it but i want to upgrade it a little bit better. Planning to play WoW and or FFXIV.

Thanks in advance!

WoW and FFXIV, I would lean more towards a CPU upgrade, as I know for sure WoW is very cpu dependent. Even @1440p, with an RTX 2060, I was able to get a min FPS boost, in outdoor world boss, 40+ man raids, going from my 3700x to a 5800x. I was able to play FFXIV comfortably, on my i7 9750h and GTX 1660ti laptop, so you don't need to get crazy, on upgrade, there. Those components are slower than their desktop counterparts. CPU holds me back a bit, in the real demanding WoW outdoor raids I mentioned earlier. A bios update, and you can drop a 5600x in your current board. In the current GPU market, it is more of a take whatever you can get.

ken.dogcio

Reputable
May 11, 2019

The thing is though, there's a new set of power standards that will come out next year such as the new PCI-E Gen 5.0 power connection for GPUs and the new Motherboard ATX12V0 standard, which basically means a whole new build. If I were in your shoes, I would just buy a decent GPU that can hold you until 1-2 years until these newer components are released and drop in price. The release of DDR5 memory is also in the horizon and usually when a new iteration of RAM is released, it usually has an expensive price at launch and takes years to drop its price off.

There's also Intel's upcoming 12th gen Alder Lake CPUs to consider as well.

My upgrade cycle is every 5 years. It can be up to you to follow it, but you're in the cusp of newer technologies and standards and it might be worth the wait to just hold out a bit more. I upgraded at the start of this year so I'll be willing to skip a generation or two of new hardware releases before I upgrade.
Alright. Thank you for the comment. I would consider this. So basically, i shouldnt upgrade now. And wait for the newer technologies. But i need to buy a decent GPU since i have nothing to use.

Would it be a better choice to go Intel over AMD? Considering, both have released their newest edition?

ken.dogcio

Reputable
May 11, 2019
WoW and FFXIV, I would lean more towards a CPU upgrade, as I know for sure WoW is very cpu dependent. Even @1440p, with an RTX 2060, I was able to get a min FPS boost, in outdoor world boss, 40+ man raids, going from my 3700x to a 5800x. I was able to play FFXIV comfortably, on my i7 9750h and GTX 1660ti laptop, so you don't need to get crazy, on upgrade, there. Those components are slower than their desktop counterparts. CPU holds me back a bit, in the real demanding WoW outdoor raids I mentioned earlier. A bios update, and you can drop a 5600x in your current board. In the current GPU market, it is more of a take whatever you can get.
Got this. Thank you for your comment! Would consider this.

Would it be a better choice to go Intel over AMD? Considering, both have released their newest edition?
Alder lake hasn't been released yet, but rumors has it it will outperform AMD's CPU flagship and is priced competitively.
Alder lake features big cores and small cores (Performance and efficiency cores). This is a similar structure as to what is used in mobile phones' CPUs as well.

ifsPZcg.png

Intel is claiming a 19% performance uplift for its Performance Cores alone, versus its previous gen Rocket Lake architecture. Couple that lift with Alder Lake’s additional E-Cores for lower priority tasks, and Thread Director technology in Windows 11 for runtime level instruction mix and scheduler optimization, and Intel is laying claim to not only the “world’s fastest gaming processor,” but also major gains in productivity and content creation workloads as well.

In terms of gen-on-gen performance, Intel is claiming big gains for gaming, but also versus chief rival AMD’s Ryzen 5000 Series as well. AMD’s Ryzen 9 5950X 16-core/32-thread chip, Intel notes Alder Lake can deliver up to 20% better performance, depending on game title, though a very few outliers will be on par or slightly behind. And when it comes to Content Creation workloads, like tasks from Adobe Suite (Lightroom, After Effects, Premier), Intel is comparing versus its previous 11th Gen Core series, showing massive gains from 32 up to 100%. It’s interesting Intel stayed with a gen-on-gen compare here versus comparing to Ryzen again, though not too surprising, as highlighting your competitor’s brand too much can work against you as well.

IMHO worth the wait if you want to go with Alder Lake. Scalpers might ruin the market again.
If you can preorder it at MSRP and have it shipped to you at reasonable cost, then it would probably check out for you.
Going with alder lake, you also have the benefit of being Windows 11 ready. AMD on the other hand has bugs with Windows 11 that causes a performance drop.

Last edited:

Ryzen 5 2600
Asus Prime B450M-A
Seasonic S12II 520
Asus VG249Q1R

Thanks in advance!
With gpu prices being wack-o consider a 5600g cpu.
Nice bump in cpu perf and the igp should allow you to game at low settings.
When/if gpu prices come down to earth fit in a gpu.

ken.dogcio

Reputable
May 11, 2019
Alder lake hasn't been released yet, but rumors has it it will outperform AMD's CPU flagship and is priced competitively.
Alder lake features big cores and small cores (Performance and efficiency cores). This is a similar structure as to what is used in mobile phones' CPUs as well.

ifsPZcg.png

IMHO worth the wait if you want to go with Alder Lake. Scalpers might ruin the market again.
If you can preorder it at MSRP and have it shipped to you at reasonable cost, then it would probably check out for you.
Going with alder lake, you also have the benefit of being Windows 11 ready. AMD on the other hand has bugs with Windows 11 that causes a performance drop.

Thank you very much for all your inputs. I am most likely going towards your suggestion. Currently, im looking for a GTX 1650S or 1660S if i see one that is on my budget.

Thank you again, i really appreciate this!

logainofhades

Titan
Given their country of origin, I doubt Alder lake will be priced well, initially. A drop in upgrade, to a 5600x, or even a 5800x, is going to be a cheaper, and easier solution. Bios update, remove old cpu, install new, and done. No need to reinstall windows, mess with cabling ect.

Reactions: helper800
Yes your board has a M.2 slot

• Ultrafast connectivity: Supreme flexibility with USB 3.1 Gen 2 and native M.2
M.2 SSDs do get hot though, especially with Samsung's Phoenix controller.

ken.dogcio

Reputable
May 11, 2019
Yes your board has a M.2 slot

M.2 SSDs do get hot though, especially with Samsung's Phoenix controller.
Is there any other option that is greater than what i have in mind?

Sep 29, 2021
Between a RX570 and a gtx 1650s there is no big difference. I'll rather wait until gpu prices go down again and upgrade your motherboard for a x470 chipset and you ram (take a 16gb of 3200mhz unstead of 2666mhz). You can also find 1080ti s for less than 400$ these days on the used market so I recommend you go and take a look there.

ken.dogcio

Reputable
May 11, 2019
Between a RX570 and a gtx 1650s there is no big difference. I'll rather wait until gpu prices go down again and upgrade your motherboard for a x470 chipset and you ram (take a 16gb of 3200mhz unstead of 2666mhz). You can also find 1080ti s for less than 400$ these days on the used market so I recommend you go and take a look there.
Well considering that my gpu is already fried, and i need to replace it regardless. Is it still better to go with RX570 than GTX 1650s? Does the price difference not worth it? Also, what good does it do if i upgrade to a x470 chipset?