[SOLVED] "Upgrade" advice.

drunkwizardgaming

Prominent
Nov 17, 2018
So recently I lost my GPU which I'm not entirely sure of the reason, but I figured I should probably replace the motherboard too just to be sure.

I was running GTX 770 (yes I know) with my ryzen 5 2600 on an x370 MSI gaming carbon pro. 16GB 3200, 550W corsair psu.

I've decided with a B450 mobo since it's a slight upgrade and cheaper than x470.
I'm also leaning towards an 8gb RX 580.

My budget is around 300, and I only play in 1080.

Would you reccomend a microATX board to cut some costs? Would save about 15-20 dollars. And I'm right to assume the RX580 is still a better purchase than say, a 1650.

So as of now I'm looking at this MSI b450 Gaming plus which is full ATX and the Sapphire Pulse 8GB 580

Or should I go with a cheaper mATX and try to get a 1660 super?

Thanks.

Solution
My advice is to wait for the new Rx series budget cards coming out by the end of the year. Those cards should beat both 1660 super and 580 but will be priced similarly. If those are too expensive, there should be a few people selling used 580s for pretty low prices after buying the new cards.

mATX is nice to cut costs, but I personally don't feel like it's worth it for the features you lose such as 4 RAM slots. You can still find some fairly cheap ATX boards.

ThatOneDude_21

Commendable
Oct 14, 2019
My advice is to wait for the new Rx series budget cards coming out by the end of the year. Those cards should beat both 1660 super and 580 but will be priced similarly. If those are too expensive, there should be a few people selling used 580s for pretty low prices after buying the new cards.

mATX is nice to cut costs, but I personally don't feel like it's worth it for the features you lose such as 4 RAM slots. You can still find some fairly cheap ATX boards.

Reactions: drunkwizardgaming
Solution

drunkwizardgaming

Prominent
Nov 17, 2018
GTX 770
Minimum Recommended System Power 600 Watts
https://www.geforce.com/hardware/desktop-gpus/geforce-gtx-770/specifications

Use of inadequate power supplies running at maximum output for extended periods of time can result in the premature failure of the power supply. You might consider that for next time.

Suppose that prolly had something to do with it. Think it's likely that PSU is toasted as opposed to GPU/Mobo? It powers on but hdmi doesn't work at all dvi does though. But after hitting splat screen it flickers and all video is gone.
Was just an old card laying around didnt think to check power consumption haha

Last edited: