Liquidfil

Honorable
Sep 24, 2013
Hi all

I just need some advice on upgrading my setup.
currently I have:

asus maximus VIII hero
intel i7 6700K @ 4.5Ghz
MSI Gaming X GTX1080 8Gb
32Gb of Corsair 3000Mhz Ram

now that sounds all well but I’m running an ultra wide acer monitor with resolution of 3440x1440

I find that the monitor is whats holding me back for getting top tier performance from my games. I know this because when I play games which have poor performance on my tv @ 1080p they run flawlessly But my tv isn’t what I want to be using.

so my question is:
Would I benefit from upgrading my mobo and cpu first before upgrading my gpu ? Money is in question but I’m not looking for cheap stuff. Just doing it in segments.
FYI I play all kinds of games but the real goal here is to maintain some kind of stability in my games when using my ultra wide monitor.

thanks I’m advance !

adamgrant520

Reputable
Jan 6, 2019
On resolutions above 1080p, the cpu has very little impact on performance, the difference between a ryzen 5 2600 and an i9 9900k would be 5-10fps at 1440p. and the higher resolution you go, the less impact the cpu has, so for just gaming id say spend the money on a new gpu. 3000 series cards are just on the horizon so it might be worth waiting for those, if you wanted to upgrade both the cpu and the gpu id say go with ryzen, a 3600 and a b450 board would set you back about 300 and a new gpu would be about 400-500 is my guess

Reactions: Liquidfil

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
Would just upgrade the gpu and look for a real upgrade like 2080 super. Agree on, if you can, waiting for the newest gpu's, but think that's around september if i remember correctly.
As said is your cpu stil good enough for those high resolutions on which you want to play.

Your i7-6700K is still a very good processor.
Higher resolutions put more stress on the graphics card.
Likely a stronger graphics card would benefit you.
Try this test:
Run YOUR games, but lower your resolution and eye candy.
This makes the graphics card loaf a bit.
If your FPS increases, it indicates that your cpu is strong enough to drive a better graphics configuration.
If your FPS stays the same, you are likely more cpu limited.

If you upgrade, make it a big jump or you may be disappointed if you do not see magical results.
I think a change to a RTX2080 super class card would be about right.

Liquidfil

Honorable
Sep 24, 2013
Thanks for all your help ! Appreciate the advice. I will probably wait for the 3000 series cards to be honest. And if the cpu is fine then great 👍🏻 I’ve never had issues with it :)

Reactions: Vic 40
When new graphics cards are launched, there are several reasons for them.

One might be a better build cost to the maker due to the lower cost of smaller manufacturing process.
That lets the maker get more profit out of selling the new product at the same price as the old.

There is competition to consider, Nvidia has amd to contend with and perhaps the upcoming intel graphics.
In the new marketplace, cards will sell at a comparable price/performance to keep market share.

Sometimes, new capabilities are introduced, like ray tracing.

You will get better price/performance by waiting until you need/want the upgrade.
But, if you wait for the next best thing, you will wait forever.

Lastly, there might be a new highest end product. Dual gpu has not worked as well as one might think it should.
There are various reasons for this. I expect the top 3000 series card to be a significant jump in capability to be able to handle the emergence of higher resolution monitors.
But, they will be very expensive. Expect to see a high new adopter price premium and shortages initially.
Do not count on snagging one unless your budget is not limited.

My advice is generally to buy what you need when you need it.

TRENDING THREADS