[SOLVED] Upgrade advice

IndianaBones

Commendable
Apr 6, 2021
Not sure if this is the correct forum but im looking on advice to upgrade my existing pc to an rtx 3080. Ive got a Ryzen 7 2700x and a asus a320m-k motherboard. pretty sure i will need to upgrade the motherboard but id like to do so without upgrading the processor. Is that possible and what would be a sufficient upgrade? I also have 2x16gb sticks of corsair vengeance rgb pro ddr4 3200mhz ram that id like still use. any help is much appreciated

Well it's a bit of a tricky question...
Even B550 supports Ryzen 2xxx buuuuuuut not officially and nobody knows to what extend and what will work?
B450 and X470 would be the right choice buuuuut it depends what bios they are running...
Some B450 and X470 Bioses doesn't not support the older 2xxx 1xxx CPU's and also not all bioses support reversing to an older version.

IndianaBones

Commendable
Apr 6, 2021
Well it's a bit of a tricky question...
Even B550 supports Ryzen 2xxx buuuuuuut not officially and nobody knows to what extend and what will work?
B450 and X470 would be the right choice buuuuut it depends what bios they are running...
Some B450 and X470 Bioses doesn't not support the older 2xxx 1xxx CPU's and also not all bioses support reversing to an older version.
is there a way to check to check which bios is compatible with the ryzen and also how to check which bios the motherboard is using prior to purchase? Sorry i have some knowledge but it is limited when it comes to motherboards and bioses and such

Why are you even looking to upgrade your motherboard?
You didnt specify any reason your current motherboard isnt doing what you want it to.

Have you actually considered why you want to upgrade, is your system not performing the way you want? I doubt a motherboard is the right move here.

IndianaBones

Commendable
Apr 6, 2021
Why are you even looking to upgrade your motherboard?
You didnt specify any reason your current motherboard isnt doing what you want it to.

Have you actually considered why you want to upgrade, is your system not performing the way you want? I doubt a motherboard is the right move here.
well in my post i specifically said i was looking into what would be needed to upgrade to an rtx3080. so im not sure how to reply to that

IndianaBones

Commendable
Apr 6, 2021
What monitor are you using. and what games do you play.

If you are CPU bound, a better GPU might not help.
During gameplay my task manager has my gpu maxed out while the cpu is pretty low, probly around 15% or so, so im assuming that its the gpu thats the issue. i play many games of all genres honestly. Tarkov, POE, simulation games, outriders. Im currently using an asus vg259, i know i will need to upgrade that for the gpu upgrade to show.

IndianaBones

Commendable
Apr 6, 2021
I think what you should do is set goals and set a budget and then people can help you get there.
what id like is 4k video quality, possibly 4k gaming but 1440 would suffice. Also whats the highest potential i could expect from a ryzen 7 2700x, asus a320m-k motherboard and the 3080? budget depends on how high i could get the resolution without upgrading the processor and such. if 4k is not possible with what i have plus the 3080 i would upgrade accordingly. again, i do appreciate the info.

IndianaBones

Commendable
Apr 6, 2021
Excellent i think that video helped alot. I wasn't even sure i could run at higher resolutions with what I had like maybe id be locked at 1080p without substantial upgrades or something. Havent really been in the know since before the original sli ready motherboards came out. Asus sn8l or something like that haha. It appears that with the 3080 and a monitor upgrade I will be able to run 1440 fairly well. Possibly upgrade cpu at some point. Thanks all of you for the helpful responses