[SOLVED] upgrade advice

Apr 20, 2022
Hello, for his birthday, my son would like an upgrade to be able to play better games. I don't know much about this and am hoping someone can advise. Our specs are:

Processor: Intel i7-4790 3.6 GHz
RAM: 16 GB
Graphics: Intel HD Graphics 4600

I got him some Star Wars games at Christmas (Battlefront and two other titles I can't remember), and he can't really play them. He can play Overwatch and Valorant currently. He's worried he won't be able to play OW2 when it comes out.

I'd appreciate any advice. Thank you!

Solution
I doubt OW2 will be any more demanding than the first one. Assuming your PSU is good enough, you could probably pick up a used RX 580, in that budget range.
Apr 20, 2022
Thats a pretty capable cpu so I would buy a gpu considering you are running on integrated graphics. What is your budget? And could you list the entire PC specs

Thank you for replying. It seems gpu stuff is expensive. I guess I'd like the cheapest upgrade that will do the job. What other specs should I list, and how do I find them?

Apr 20, 2022
What is your spending limit on GPU?

If a few hundred dollars won't be enough for gaming, I won't be upgrading. I'll get him something else instead for his birthday. I've seen $1000 gpus for sale...at that point, I'd rather start searching for a PS5 or something.

So I guess the question is whether a $100-200 gpu does anything for me.

PEnns

Reputable
Apr 25, 2020
I agree with jacob249358. The Intel i7-4790 is still a very potent and capable CPU and receives excellent high marks in User Benchmarks.

And I also know that for a fact, because I have one!

I use it with a 1660 Super ("affordable" these days) and can play almost any game at 1080 in High / Very High settings.

Reactions: sanchogrande