Question Upgrade advice

veeljko23

Reputable
May 24, 2020
I can upgrade either right now or wait for a better upgrade and im having a hard time deciding since i really wanna upgrade asap

Current pc:
CPU: i7 870 turbo boost on
CPU COOLER: GAMMAXX 200T (older version no support for lga 1700)
MBO:p7H55-M PRO
GPU: TUF GTX 1650 SUPER
RAM:4x2gb ddr3 1333mhz
PSU: lc power 6650 v2.2 (got it used idk how old it is)
SSD: Patriot Burst Elite 120GB
HDD: Seagate 250GB
MONITOR: 1080p 75hz
Known issues: random bsod, and sometimes pc would freeze and restart but rarely, currently troublshooting (ram most likely since its 9-11 y/o)

I checked all of my options and i can either get i3 10100f + H510M PRO-E + 8gb 3200mhz ddr4 (some of the cheapest options) TOTAL - ~$170
Or i can wait a month atleast and get i3 12100f + Biostar H610MH + 8gb 3200mhz ddr4(some of thecheapest options) TOTAL - ~$230

Either choice i pick im gonna get a 2x8 kit later on, and im wondering will i3 10100f be enough since i really wanna upgrade asap, i plan on getting 144hz monitor and i play games like csgo, valorant, pubg, apex legends etc. Or would i later regret that i didnt wait for 12100f

Lutfij

Titan
Apart from getting a complete overhaul for your platform...you can move over the storages and the discrete GPU but you will need a new PSU to power your new build.

Where are you located and do you have access to AMD parts?

veeljko23

Reputable
May 24, 2020
Apart from getting a complete overhaul for your platform...you can move over the storages and the discrete GPU but you will need a new PSU to power your new build.

Where are you located and do you have access to AMD parts?
Serbia, these are the two sites i buy from mostly,

And why would i need a new psu?

Lutfij

Titan
An used PSU will not output the advertised wattage...furthermore, can you tell for certain what the PSU was powering prior to your purchase? The PSU is considered to be the heart of your system, if it has a heart attack, you're going to kiss your entire system goodbye.

veeljko23

Reputable
May 24, 2020
An used PSU will not output the advertised wattage...furthermore, can you tell for certain what the PSU was powering prior to your purchase? The PSU is considered to be the heart of your system, if it has a heart attack, you're going to kiss your entire system goodbye.
I also planned on getting that new but i dont know if there is anything that would fit my budget, but what do you think which one of the 2 options should i go for?

Lutfij

Titan
I would not look at an F suffix processor since I know how valuable an iGPU is during troubleshooting scenarios. In fact, you'll see that budget builds tend to need more troubleshooting than not...I'd look into a processor with an iGPU(non-F suffix processor).

veeljko23

Reputable
May 24, 2020
I would not look at an F suffix processor since I know how valuable an iGPU is during troubleshooting scenarios. In fact, you'll see that budget builds tend to need more troubleshooting than not...I'd look into a processor with an iGPU(non-F suffix processor).
Im gonna pass on that, since i care about performance more

Either choice i pick im gonna get a 2x8 kit later on, and im wondering will i3 10100f be enough since i really wanna upgrade asap, i plan on getting 144hz monitor and i play games like csgo, valorant, pubg, apex legends etc. Or would i later regret that i didnt wait for 12100f
The i3 10100 should do a decent job of those titles. However my two cents would be if you can afford it you will be better served by the 12100F. You say you intend to get an 8GB kit now and then 2x8 later, can I assume the 8GB kit you'll start with is 2x4 for dual channel?

Try a couple of tests:
Run YOUR games, but lower your resolution and eye candy.
This makes the graphics card loaf a bit.
If your FPS increases, it indicates that your cpu is strong enough to drive a better graphics configuration.
If your FPS stays the same, you are likely more cpu limited and a cpu upgrade will benefit you.
A I3-10100f will be twice as strong as your I7-870 and would be a good upgrade.
Here is a review:

When you play your games, look at task manager/resource monitor/memory tab and look at the hard fault page rate.
If you see anything more than zero, your 8gb is not enough and plan on 16gb. Really, see if you can buy a 2 x 8gb kit up front. Speed does not matter.

On your known issues,
Run memtest86 or memtest86+
They boot from a usb stick and do not use windows.
You can download them here:
If you can run a full pass with NO errors, your ram should be ok.

Running several more passes will sometimes uncover an issue, but it takes more time.
Probably not worth it unless you really suspect a ram issue.

If ram tests clean, you have to consider that your psu may be the cause of intermittent failures.
Since your gpu will remain unchanged, the power required will not change. But cheap power supplies may not perform consistently.
They can destroy other connected parts if they should fail under load.

Plan on a psu change if you should continue to have issues after the cpu/mobo/ram upgrade.

veeljko23

Reputable
May 24, 2020
Try a couple of tests:
Run YOUR games, but lower your resolution and eye candy.
This makes the graphics card loaf a bit.
If your FPS increases, it indicates that your cpu is strong enough to drive a better graphics configuration.
If your FPS stays the same, you are likely more cpu limited and a cpu upgrade will benefit you.
A I3-10100f will be twice as strong as your I7-870 and would be a good upgrade.
Here is a review:

When you play your games, look at task manager/resource monitor/memory tab and look at the hard fault page rate.
If you see anything more than zero, your 8gb is not enough and plan on 16gb. Really, see if you can buy a 2 x 8gb kit up front. Speed does not matter.

On your known issues,
Run memtest86 or memtest86+
They boot from a usb stick and do not use windows.
You can download them here:
If you can run a full pass with NO errors, your ram should be ok.

Running several more passes will sometimes uncover an issue, but it takes more time.
Probably not worth it unless you really suspect a ram issue.

If ram tests clean, you have to consider that your psu may be the cause of intermittent failures.
Since your gpu will remain unchanged, the power required will not change. But cheap power supplies may not perform consistently.
They can destroy other connected parts if they should fail under load.

Plan on a psu change if you should continue to have issues after the cpu/mobo/ram upgrade.
In most games doesnt matter graphics i play on fps is almost same since my i7 is weak, i will get 8gb first and upgrade later on, i found a gigabyte h610 s2h ddr4 rev1.0 new unused for less money so i ordered 12100f since i realize that in cs/val which is where fps matters the most to me avg on i3 12100f is 500+ while on i3 10100f its 280ish, and when i sell current mbo/ram/cpu/cooler ill get the motherboard, i just hope everything turns out well, as for memtest i followed all steps and when i boot from usb, it doesnt start memtest just blank blinking underline, i think i didnt do the burn in part but ill try later