[SOLVED] Upgrade advise for 4K

Kenzowestside

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2014
Hi, ive been thinking about upgrading my GPU so i can hopefully play games in 4k 60hz on my Acer predator XB280HK monitor.
From what ive gathered is that with my current build it wouldnt be a good idea to just purchase one of the new Ampere cards straight into my builld.
this is my current build:
NZXT H440 midi tower Razer special edition

2 X Gigabyte GTX 980ti G1 gaming edition

Corsair Hydro H100i GTX

Corsair Vengeance 16GB 4x4GB DDR4 2400MHz

MSI x99A SLI plus intel x99 2011 socket DDR4

EVGA Supernova G2 1300W 80 Plus Gold PSU

Intel i7-5820K 3.3Ghz Oc'd to 3.8Ghz haswell E chipset

Samsung 250GB SSD EVO 6GPs

Samsung 1TB SSD EVO 6GPs

2TB HDD

My plan at the moment would be to change my motherboard and CPU for an
Asus ROG Strix B550-E MOBO
AMD Ryzen 7 3700X Gen3 AM4 socket.

Then Add a new Apere card to the build.
id appreciate any advise and also would my RAM work on this MOBO?

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
My plan at the moment would be to change my motherboard and CPU for an
Asus ROG Strix B550-E MOBO
AMD Ryzen 7 3700X Gen3 AM4 socket.
Uhh, that's likely to be a side-grade and a waste of money. Games are hard gpu-bound at 4K, with the cpu not needing to work as hard as it does at lower resolutions.
Plus it's at 60hz too? The cpu will definitely have an easy time of it.
Simply wait and see, instead of blindly jumping onto a new platform.

Kenzowestside

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2014
Uhh, that's likely to be a side-grade and a waste of money. Games are hard gpu-bound at 4K, with the cpu not needing to work as hard as it does at lower resolutions.
Plus it's at 60hz too? The cpu will definitely have an easy time of it.
Simply wait and see, instead of blindly jumping onto a new platform.
yea my monitor is 60HZ , all i really want is to be able to game in 4K at highest settings and to get 60fps. i built this pc nearly 5 years ago and haven't kept up with whats new and best to have so i could do with the advise. if a 2080Ti could do this then id be happy but i want to go the right way about it.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Even if it weren't at the highest settings, you'd still be hard gpu bound.

You're also a bit late to be considering a 2080Ti. When Nvidia stops producing one generation to start on the new one, the prices of the old one start going up, contrary to popular belief.
That leaves the 2nd hand market in order to find a model at a reasonable price.

May as well wait and see what RTX 30 offers.

Kenzowestside

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2014
Even if it weren't at the highest settings, you'd still be hard gpu bound.

You're also a bit late to be considering a 2080Ti. When Nvidia stops producing one generation to start on the new one, the prices of the old one start going up, contrary to popular belief.
That leaves the 2nd hand market in order to find a model at a reasonable price.

May as well wait and see what RTX 30 offers.
but with the new 30 series the intel chips dont offer 4.0 pcie whereas the AMD chips do, thats why i was considering the MOBO & CPU change. if you think id need to get a better chip and mobo then its something that i would do to make sure i get the outcome i want.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
That's a red herring.
Only 2 things benefit from Gen 4 currently:
-multiple NVMe setups, where large files are being transferred from one to another
-SLI 3090, or whatever the top dawg gpu is going to be

Only one card today comes close to fully saturating Gen 3, and it's still not even close: the 2080Ti.
It just barely saturates Gen 3 at x8 mode and the penalty isn't even noticeable.
These RTX 30 cards aren't going to just magically consume thousands more PCIe bandwidth than the 2080Ti, instantly making Gen 3 systems obsolete; that would be ridiculous.

Gen 3 isn't broken.

Kenzowestside

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2014
That's a red herring.
Only 2 things benefit from Gen 4 currently:
-multiple NVMe setups, where large files are being transferred from one to another
-SLI 3090, or whatever the top dawg gpu is going to be

Only one card today comes close to fully saturating Gen 3, and it's still not even close: the 2080Ti.
It just barely saturates Gen 3 at x8 mode and the penalty isn't even noticeable.
These RTX 30 cards aren't going to just magically consume thousands more PCIe bandwidth than the 2080Ti, instantly making Gen 3 systems obsolete; that would be ridiculous.

Gen 3 isn't broken.
ok so thats not so bad for me then? but i terms of my current CPU would it play a big factor in bottle necking a new GPU when trying to achieve 60fps in 4K 60 HZ?