Oct 4, 2021
Hello,

I need some advise,
I've been using my PC for almost 4 years since ryzen 1st gen release
I have R5 1600 , B350 board and RX580
Now im thinking to upgrade my PC with latest gen CPU, but turn out that my board does not support Ryzen 5000, (5600X)
Would you recommend to get new board + ryzen 5000 , or opt for ryzen 3000 series (3600XT) ?
As for the GPU, ill keep it for a while , while waiting for GPU price to go down a bit, (Thinking of RTX 3060 or equivalent)

Thank you

Solution
I would go with a 3xxx series CPU. Even if not at the top end right now, they’re still very good. Unless you absolutely want/need a 5xxx right now, it’s probably best to wait the new generation of CPU and MB based on the AM5 socket (or whatever Intel will offer then). And a 3xxx CPU is good enough to last until these are here (and hopefully with better availability and pricing than the 5xxx series).

With a RX580, you will not see any difference in gaming between a 3600XT and a 5600X. And very few if any with a RTX3060 outside of benchmarking.

Wendigo

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2002
I would go with a 3xxx series CPU. Even if not at the top end right now, they’re still very good. Unless you absolutely want/need a 5xxx right now, it’s probably best to wait the new generation of CPU and MB based on the AM5 socket (or whatever Intel will offer then). And a 3xxx CPU is good enough to last until these are here (and hopefully with better availability and pricing than the 5xxx series).

With a RX580, you will not see any difference in gaming between a 3600XT and a 5600X. And very few if any with a RTX3060 outside of benchmarking.

Last edited:
Reactions: mifta_95
Solution
Oct 4, 2021
thanks for the input guys,
yes my gpu is mediocre, i plan to upgrade soon , but its really hard finding one with good price for now, even second hand unit is very rare here

as for the cpu
someone ask my R5 1600 for USD 105 (cpu only)
also i just found R5 3600 on stok for USD 203 (tray new)
while R5 3600XT (box new) is USD 269
is that good trade?

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
There is a considerable amount of performance to be gained by going 3xxx. The level of upgrade you move to would be particular to the specific motherboard you have, as B350 is a wide swath.
The 5xxx Ryzen offer good performance but is already a dead end. AMD did users no favors by limiting supported BIOS update for the older motherboards on AM4. In this case if you were to go that far, I would wait for next gen AMD and see what it offers. New socket, new chipsets, new RAM...

logainofhades

Titan
thanks for the input guys,
yes my gpu is mediocre, i plan to upgrade soon , but its really hard finding one with good price for now, even second hand unit is very rare here

as for the cpu
someone ask my R5 1600 for USD 105 (cpu only)
also i just found R5 3600 on stok for USD 203 (tray new)
while R5 3600XT (box new) is USD 269
is that good trade?

I would stick with a 3600, over the xt. The xt isn't worth the added cost.