[SOLVED] Upgrade Advise - Ryzen or TR

Aug 15, 2019
So I've been sitting on an old i7-5930k / X99 setup that I'm finally looking to upgrade and could use some advice. I've always gone with Intel but I can't say they have anything really appealing to me at the moment so I'm considering an AMD system for my next build. What I can't decide on at this point is to go either Ryzen or Threadripper, specifically the 3950x or 3960x. My rig is mainly used for gaming and lite content creation so the Ryzen would probably be more than enough but I think available PCIe lanes are my issue.

I'm currently running a single 1tb m2 system drive, two 1080ti's in SLI, a Soundblaster AE-9, and a 10gb Intel nic. As it stands now with these cards I don't think I can cram everything into a Ryzen based motherboard. I see there are some that offer onboard 10gb for both Ryzen and TR so I guess I could do away with my Intel nic if need be leaving just the vid cards and sound card.

Price isnt really an issue, I'm looking more to build a system that will last me another 6 years but have the expandability for future gpu upgrades and maybe even throw in a m2 nvme raid card at some point. While I understand the Threadripper chips aren't really aimed towards gaming it seems like it would be just fine based on the reviews. I also game at 3440x1440 so I think the bottleneck would shift more towards the gpu's anyway. What do you guys think?

Thanks!

Solution
SLI is pointless, to be blunt. You're better off going with a Ryzen platform. If you need the oomph, and the massive motherboard PCB real estate then a Threadripper would be the way to go but please keep in mind that the TR platform is not exactly a gaming platform but is geared towards content creators.

With how you've mentioned it, I'd side with a Ryzen build.

Lutfij

Titan
SLI is pointless, to be blunt. You're better off going with a Ryzen platform. If you need the oomph, and the massive motherboard PCB real estate then a Threadripper would be the way to go but please keep in mind that the TR platform is not exactly a gaming platform but is geared towards content creators.

With how you've mentioned it, I'd side with a Ryzen build.

Solution
Aug 15, 2019
Thank you for your reply! I definitely considered the sli issue since less games seem to support it these days. Multi-gpu can be finicky sometimes too so a single card would be nice. The games I do play though, at least at the moment, support it and I see a decent fps increase as compared to a single 1080ti.

Could I use the cards I have now in the meantime on a Ryzen system with enough lanes for the soundcard and/or nic? I do want to upgrade the gpu at some point so a single 2080ti would be the route I go or possibly just wait until the next gen nividia card.