Upgrade advise!

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
You actually only really need a new processor...

vochtige

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2008
ahah, if i want a new cpu (that isn't overpriced like the old am2+ ones). i need a new mobo, WITH new DDR3 ram. and if i want to use a 125W cpu, i sertainly need a new PSU!

and if i do the above thing, i won't bother getting a new gpu also :p

You do not need a new motherboard. Megamanx00 linked the CPU comparability list for your motherboard earlier in the thread, almost a week ago now. You can use AM3 processors as long as they are 95w or lower which is almost all of them.

8Vidia

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2010
If u wthink u can save more money then save it , because i doesnt worth to upgrade one of ur hardwares whereas all of them need to be upgraded . IF u upgrade only one of the hardwares u will see bad results ( maybe worse than ur previous system ) , so i suggest u to wait & collect more money then go for new SYSTEM . I mean new ( mobo,vga,cpu,ram,psu ).

vochtige

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2008

Check the prices, check the Ghz, check the diffrence with am3 ddr3 and amd3 ddr2. i don't want to pay more for a cpu that performs less.

Why should i pay 159 euro's if i can get better for 130 euro's? At that point it's time to say: let's save some money and get a new system when i NEED IT. my upgrading will only be for luxury. more fps = smoother gameplay. but if i put my settings to medium, i get more fps (snow maps on bbc2.). maybe i'll do that for a while.

but hey, let's close this thread. to be honest, i won't go for AMD-cpu's ATM if i get a new build. Only ATI is rocking!

I don't understand what this means. Your motherboard uses DDR2 and that has nothing to do with the processor. Pay more for what CPU that performs less than what?
The ghz of the AM3 processors are much higher that what you have now and a Phenom II is a different and superior architecture so you cannot just compare raw clock speeds. I don't know about the prices where you are but a Phenom II x4 955 3.2 ghz costs $140 in the US and would make your system very capable for gaming for a long while to come.

8Vidia

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2010
dont forget this : wait more longer & totaly change ur rig , 1 Upgrade or 2 wont help , trust me . Dont waste ur money because if u chnage ur ram , u cant get ddr 2 & for new rig u need ddr 3 so ddr 2 will be waste of money . how many reasons should i give ?

vochtige

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2008
damn, i can't believe what i'm reading.

again: IF I BUY A NEW CPU, that fits into my mobo (am2+ phenomII). i'll have to pay more for it. At the same moment of speaking i can buy a FASTER/newer ONE phenom II with 'for example' 3.2 ghz instead of the 2.6ghz amd2+ compatible one!

SOOOOOO => I don't want to mess around like that! 2nd off all! : i need to find a phenom II, that fits a amd2+ AND is using MAX 95 W

BTW: here in Belgium we are totally up to date with the newest hardware, so am2+ capable cpu's are hard to find AND expensive if I find ONE

vochtige

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2008
:D if i would be him, i've had said something like: a i7 870 would be a good choice ;o
but i'll love the i7 930 maybe more...

Plz guys, let's close it up!

Status
Not open for further replies.