[SOLVED] Upgrade AMD A10 7870K

Apr 2, 2020
Hello all,
So at the moment I'm using an AMD A10 7870K and I'm looking for ways to upgrade it. Specifically, it should be able to run Bannerlord which has these requirements:
https://www.systemrequirementslab.com/cyri/requirements/mount-and-blade-2-bannerlord/13723
Can I just add a dedicated graphic card like the Radeon RX 570/580 or could this cause problems like bottlenecking?
My Mainboard is a F2A88XM-D3HP. I don't really have a concrete budget, I'm mainly looking for a good price-performance ratio. If you need further information, let me know.
Thanks!

Solution
your CPU will bottleneck hard with the GPU's you mentioned above. your CPU is at the peak of the performance the motherboard offers, maybe 2 models faster than yours and the upgrade for a few FPS would be wasted money. there is no CPU that meets the minimum requirements that will work on that board. this is forcing a core upgrade. you could add a GPU and still not be able to play the game.
from scratch? I wouldn't you have a case and presumably hard drives that can be used and every part you can salvage is money for other parts. you have a house, it needs furniture and a power hookup. no real need to start from the foundation.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 2200G 3.5 GHz Quad-Core Processor (€89.80 @ Alza)...

R_1

Expert
Ambassador
a budget limit is helpful, if you can post a hard limit, a not one dollar more than this limit.
please post your complete system specs if you can, please include the PSU make and model. you can download CPUz from CPUID.com and it will tell you your specs across the tabs.
Welcome to the Forums. :)

Apr 2, 2020
a budget limit is helpful, if you can post a hard limit, a not one dollar more than this limit.
please post your complete system specs if you can, please include the PSU make and model. you can download CPUz from CPUID.com and it will tell you your specs across the tabs.
Welcome to the Forums. :)
PSU is a LC600H-12 V2.31. And for the budget, preferably I'm looking for something between 100€ and 200€
Thanks for the welcoming. :)

R_1

Expert
Ambassador
Euros are used in many countries, what country are you purchasing from?
Albania has a different supply than say Spain. do you have a preferred local source?

that being said, unless you can get some used parts I do not know if that budget will allow CPU, RAM, Motherboard and PSU upgrades.

in any case the first upgrade I suggest is a quality PSU.

Apr 2, 2020
Euros are used in many countries, what country are you purchasing from?
Albania has a different supply than say Spain. do you have a preferred local source?

that being said, unless you can get some used parts I do not know if that budget will allow CPU, RAM, Motherboard and PSU upgrades.

in any case the first upgrade I suggest is a quality PSU.
I'm purchasing from Germany and I don't really have a preferred local source.
So you are saying that I can't just add a seperate graphics card or something like that, as my other components won't be able to sustain such an upgrade? And in that case, if I need to replace CPU, RAM, Motherboard and PSU anyway, does it even make sense to think of an "easy solution" or should I actually consider building a new PC from scratch?

R_1

Expert
Ambassador
your CPU will bottleneck hard with the GPU's you mentioned above. your CPU is at the peak of the performance the motherboard offers, maybe 2 models faster than yours and the upgrade for a few FPS would be wasted money. there is no CPU that meets the minimum requirements that will work on that board. this is forcing a core upgrade. you could add a GPU and still not be able to play the game.
from scratch? I wouldn't you have a case and presumably hard drives that can be used and every part you can salvage is money for other parts. you have a house, it needs furniture and a power hookup. no real need to start from the foundation.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 2200G 3.5 GHz Quad-Core Processor (€89.80 @ Alza)
Motherboard: Asus PRIME B450M-K Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard (€60.80 @ Alza)
Memory: G.Skill Aegis 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory (€76.79 @ Mindfactory)
Power Supply: SeaSonic S12II 620 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply (€66.98 @ ARLT)
Total: €294.37
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-04-03 01:49 CEST+0200

new platform and a motherboard that has many upgrade options for the CPU. integrated GPU is much better than what you currently have and while enough to run your target game (GPU wise at lower settings) the CPU will be ready for a new GPU. dual channel DDR4, and a decent power supply to feed them, this allows a core upgrade and a GPU upgrade that should play the game while allowing more time for a RX 580 class GPU

results for the general idea, the gist
https://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compa...30-Desktop-Coffee-Lake-i5-i7/m441833vsm356797
the GPU is faster than the desired intel minimum
https://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/AMD-Ryzen-3-1200-vs-AMD-Ryzen-3-2200G/3931vsm441832
the CPU is faster than the suggested minimum

the game should play

Reactions: King_V
Solution
Apr 2, 2020
Oh, ok, that makes sense. The components you listed look good. I will have to see if I'm willing to do such a rework now or if I'm going to wait before I think about larger upgrades. But I will definitely keep this list in mind.
One last question: Are there drawbacks to using a a combined CPU+GPU? Like, if I know that I'm going to add a dedicated graphics card anyway, would it be better to also buy a dedicated CPU rather than a combined version?

R_1

Expert
Ambassador
Ideally yes, in actuallity the 2200g is essentially just an updated 1400 with a GPU.
as far as disadvantages none really. intel has had built in GPU's for a long time and Ive never heard an issue. the main issue would be the GPU taks space limiting room for CPU cores, which is why you will not see a threadripper system with a built in GPU, the die is huge as it is.
advantage, you MIGHT be able to use both the dedicated and iGPU at once. multiple monitors for example.