Upgrade AMD A6 5400 to an A10 5800

tles7777

Prominent
Feb 1, 2018
My HP P7 1490 has a Jasmine mother board that can be upgraded to the A10 5800 according to the HP website. I have a 600K Powersupply. Is it worth the upgrade?

Solution

Well, just going off the list of possible CPU upgrades HP lists, plus what you said about an A10 6800 also working, then yes the 6800 would be the best gaming CPU available for that platform. "Best" being a very relative term.

Matt C

Honorable
Jul 31, 2012
It's an upgrade no matter what. Quad core instead of dual core, higher top frequency and better graphics, Radeon HD 7660D instead of Radeon HD 7540D

I doubt it unless you will buy a used unit.

Of course, worth is something only YOU can determine.

You would get two more threads which is always a plus.
Some games require 4 threads to run.

But, the single thread performance is only some 10% better and that is what games need most.

Hey,
Please give the REASON for the upgrade. I don't want to assume it's to play games, but if it was do you even have a graphics card and at least 8GB of system memory?

The A10-5800K has both a CPU and GPU but the GPU is relatively weak so you'd still want a graphics card instead. Plus you need fast dual-channel (i.e. 2x4GB 2133MHz) to avoid seriously bottlenecking that already weak GPU (in the APU not the graphics card).

And it's like $170USD.

It feels like a lot of money for what you get. At this point I'd be putting money towards building a completely new PC or if it's just for gaming perhaps consider a gaming console instead.

There are always great console deals to be had near Christmas. You probably can't do much without at least $600 for new CPU, mobo, DDR4 memory and graphics card (sigh and Windows license) but you can probably find a console deal for $300USD.

tles7777

Prominent
Feb 1, 2018
I also have read that the AMD A10 6800 will work on my Jasmine 7778 motherboard (even though HP doesn't list it). So, I would prefer to get that and then add a GTX 780 (or should I use a 750) graphics card. Please do not recommend buying a new machine at this point.

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
What sort of games will you be playing? Upgrading to an A10 will be a decent improvement over your current CPU, but any CPU that works with your current motherboard will still be fairly weak compared to modern Intel/AMD CPUs.

So, I would prefer to get that and then add a GTX 780 (or should I use a 750) graphics card.
What power supply do you have? If it's some no-name OEM unit, please look at the label on the side of the unit and list the rated amperage for each voltage rail.

tles7777

Prominent
Feb 1, 2018
Corsair CX Series 600 Watt ATX/EPS Modular 80 PLUS Bronze ATX12V/EPS12V 552 Power Supply CX600M. Right now, I have a GeForce 650Ti graphics card.

I am doing this for fun. I have a few laptops and I can easily afford the top of the line desktop...I am retired and I just like to tinker.

tles7777

Prominent
Feb 1, 2018
For me, it's not about what is worth it for price evaulation. I would like to put together something that is the fastest gaming with the ability of the motherboard.

mgallo848

Commendable

Not trying to be rude but why even bother starting this thread asking others if it's "worth it" when you clearly stated "For me, it's not about what is worth it for price evaulation"

It seems pretty clear that the only person that can answer this thread is you.

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador

Well, just going off the list of possible CPU upgrades HP lists, plus what you said about an A10 6800 also working, then yes the 6800 would be the best gaming CPU available for that platform. "Best" being a very relative term.

Solution